Leo era Heavy Metal

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Pulled the trigger on a local " Hot Rod " Rampage ( thanks , Rampagefan ) also picked up a 1973 Fender Twin Reverb three or four weeks ago ... nice guitar , sent it out all ready for some up grades .... it's getting a Kahler locking tree , the original locking system pulls the strings sharp when locked down , the kahler stays in tune during the lock down process and also getting some medium jumbo stainless steel frets .... it all ready played nice and it's going to be even nicer now .... the EMG's are hotter than a two dollar pistol and that's the way I want it :)

I just love the Twin Reverb , the two sound great together , this rampage is a "player" and I plan on playing it , it looks pretty sweet too .... The amp is all original 1973 and my first amp with wheels !! ... love the wheels BTW .... The amps takes the pedal real good too

I joined a Heavy metal band , never been in a band before , so I thought I better slap my pedal board together , here's the first shot of the pedals , I will organize it better later or I might get PT 3 board so the power supply can be underneath the top shelve , my Coffin case board has no room for the power supply but I'll work that out later ... Band wise I've played with them about 4 times now and they asked me to join playing rythym and I said I would , playing with people is way more fun than just playing at home so I'm really looking forward to my first Gig ..... I will be shopping for a Mini Van real soon ..lol

Re: Leo era Heavy Metal

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Eric, we can help you spend a lot of money on gigging. Nice amp and guitars too. If you are in a metal group you need to move around a lot. A good wireless unit can be had for less than a grand. A van helps. I'm sure everyone here can help you out a bit. You also need a backup amp and guitar. Any other ideas anyone! Congrats on the band. It will be a blast. -- Darwin

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:13 pm

I've been looking at the Line 6 50 wireless system ..... I need to get two mic's and two stands , they mic the amps so they can control sound through a thingy and he said to get that right away ....as for wireless , right now I'm the only one NOT wireless , I do have a back up amp in the Fender Super Reverb and Peavey Classic 30 .... they tune half step down and some songs are drop D on top of that ..... good thing you guy's (Louis mainly) pushed me to re-learn how to read music or I would really be lost

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm

my main instrument is my Cavalier , the humbuckers are quiet witch is good for a rookie , I will have to dial in the Rampage when I get that back from up-grades but I plan on playing it too with the guy's .... right now simple is good .... I also need something that my Acoustic plugs into that goes direct to the sound Thingy(is the sound thingy a mixer ?) , I think he called it a Midi box for my acoustic ?? .... my acoustic didn't sound good through the Twin reverb , they do a couple Acoustic gigs with out the drummer , I will miss this weekends acoustic set as I'm not quite up to speed on all the songs they play acoustically

thanks for the help !!

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Congrats on the band! That's very exciting. I just got one going myself and am sitting on my hands waiting on a new Lefty vintage white ASAT Classic Alnico.

Can you tell me about the BBE Supa Charger? Where did you get it? How much?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 pm

As wr talked, what a score! I was gonna be right on your heels on it if you had gone a different direction. I wonder how that DuncanbCustom Custom (or whatever they call his Van Halen humbucker) would sound in it? They've renamed it lately i think

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Jeff , this is/would be the guitar that I hot rod , plus with just one pu it won't cost as much :) , I will have to try out some different pu's as I get situated

Lefty , I picked up the Supacharger Used off of Craigs list , like new in the box and everything included , it was 75.00 dollars .... not sure what it cost's new as I never got that far when this came up first search locally ..... basically I can power up 8 stomp boxes , I have 7 boxes I use plus a BBE Wah that is not pictured all powered by the Supacharger .....I'm pretty much a BIG G&L fan boy based on my gear..lol ... I need a T-shirt Darth ..lol

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Fumble fingers wrote: I think he called it a Midi box for my acoustic ??

A direct box I bet .

The Rampage/EMG/Twin Reverb should make for some great rock tones.
Do you have a reasonably good to great cable to really squeeze all you can from the set-up.
It's nice to have just the guitar/cable/amp sound in your head to know when the pedals start to suck instead of give you the tone your after. You definitely have the guitar(s) and amp parts covered :thumbup:

cool news about the band, keep us posted .
(did you mention the name?)

elwood

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:20 am

Eric, It was nice meeting you, and I'm really glad you like the guitar! I'm also glad it ended up with a fellow GbL member. I agree, it is a great player, and the EMG is really hot. That guitar has a really cool growl to it. Luckily for me I have two more Rampages and a new Superhawk to ease my pain! Lol!

I never thought I would sell a Rampage, as I had set out to collect them. But after I got my Fallout, I have a new appreciation for the newer USA models, and the plecked necks. My next guitar is going to be an Asat Special Semi Hollow.

I can't wait to see the guitar when you get it back. If you're taking it to Centerville Music, they do fantastic work. I took my Superhawk Deluxe to them to install a bone nut and swap the pickups to Seymour Duncan and I couldn't be happier with their work. The guitar came back to me better than I was hoping.

Thanks again for a smooth deal, and let me know if you have any questions,
Dave

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:04 am

Fun stuff Fumble!! Congrats on all your new gear and the new band!

I can tell you are younger than me if you are going to be lugging that Twin to gigs! I don't see a smilie for a bad back. :)

You might want to play with the EMG for a while and see what you think - could take your playing in a new direction. There are so many options for aftermarket pickups now. I have had very good luck with Dimarzios and that would probably be my choice if I were to swap it out.

BTW - when you are playing that new Rampage on stage and they ask you to turn it down, they are talking about the color. :lol:

Knock 'em dead! :fighting0030:

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Here is a jam-face to work on:

Once you tat there's no turning back so here is some arm lingerie that screams, "I'd be in prison if I didn't have this guitar."

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Elwood , I think your right on the Direct box ..... the band is called Circus Ricky

Dave , Mark Kieser at Centerville Music , he did such a fabulous job re-fretting the Cavalier I couldn't resist and Tim had the locking nut and just gave it to me , mark is SS fretting my 1997 S 500 too ... it was a pleasure meeting you and I'm stoked over the Rampage , can't hardly wait to get it back , I told Mark to get the Rampage done first

Fianoman , I thought the Twin was lighter than my Super Reverb, plus it has wheels and the Super doesn't (yet) , I'm loving life at 52

Salmon , I gotta get the Jam face on !! ... I will work on that tonight , hopefully the wife won't think I'm mad at her .... I need those tat sleeves bad

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16 pm

sweet pics!
I had the very same amp in the 80's, used it for 6 years.
Ran my les paul into a tom scholz rockman, then into the amp, both channels, turned up to 10!
great tone, our rhythm guitarist played through a nice Marshall 1/2 stack, but he was always jealous of my tone.
enjoy!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 pm

drjho7 wrote:sweet pics!
I had the very same amp in the 80's, used it for 6 years.
Ran my les paul into a tom scholz rockman, then into the amp, both channels, turned up to 10!
great tone, our rhythm guitarist played through a nice Marshall 1/2 stack, but he was always jealous of my tone.
enjoy!

I like the twin too , I also have a 1975 Super Reverb and plan on having a Amp shoot out in the near future :)

Sat May 03, 2014 9:06 am

Nice going, man! :thumbup: Congratulations on the Rampage, love the color and it looks to be in fabulous shape for its age, and congrats on the band, rock on! :sign0011: