New strings for an old guitar

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:31 am

I have been playing a '86ish Asat for years and today it gets a bath and setup. The strings I have been using are D'Addario 10 - 52's and that is what is going back on unless someone here can suggest something else I should try. So please take the time and tell me what your favorite strings are for this old guitar.

Also take time and share your tips for cleaning and general setup. For cleaning I think I will duct tape it to the back of my truck and hit it with a power sprayer. Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

y2kc

Re: New strings for an old guitar

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:33 am

Stick with D'Addario sez the guy who is completely partial ;)

- Jos

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:59 am

Try these strings on for size. Probably more info than you wanted.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9482

I would use painters tape instead of duct tape. It won't ruin the finish. ;)

Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm really enjoying the DR Pure Blues. They stay in tune really well once you stretch them in and sound great IMHO. I've only tried one set so far on my ASAT so take my opinion with a grain of salt but so far I'm very happy with them.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:24 pm

With all due respect ,No, no , no to D'Addario.
I use Elixir. Modern technology, better tone at the start. Better tone for longer.You don't need to change the strings so often!
Easy decision. As for gauge I used to use 10-52 but I inherited 10-46 from Oulaw Josew Wales and I've never gone back.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:With all due respect ,No, no , no to D'Addario.

Hehe... +1 on that Anthony , I gag everytime I see those multi-colored ball ends . :sick:
The absolute worst I have tried are the DR black beauties from the colored series, felt and sounded like barbed-wire.

back to the positives;
Curt Mangan's are good for me if I don't have 15 bucks for the TI's.

I dress and polish the frets every string set change . Virtuoso polish for the body and back of neck.
Clean hands before playing .

elwood

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:59 am

I have used DR blues in the past but kinda like the feel of the D'Addario's under these old finger tips. I have not noticed the dreadful colored ends.

The cleaning of the Asat went as planned. Yes the duct tape took off the finish and I probably should not have used Zip Strip on the back of the neck. Hey ,live and learn. I am parting this guitar out and it will be on ebay in the morning.

y2kc

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:33 am

y2kc wrote: I am parting this guitar out and it will be on ebay in the morning.y2kc

LOL...I hear that's what happens to old guitars with finish issues...sigh :lol:

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:51 am

Just a PSA

www.stringsandbeyond.com is still having sale for a few more days--15% off everything. Use coupon code APRILFOOLS. The usual free shipping to US/Canada on orders $35 or over.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:48 pm

suave eddie wrote:No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

+1. They are great to deal with. Not the same selection as some other internet vendors (at least for bass strings), but the prices and service make up for that IME.

Ken

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:06 pm

+1 here as well

My wife got a bunch of stocking stuffers last year at Christmas and I have slides, strings, t-shirt and sticker from them.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:41 am

Late to the party here, what else is new. Anyway, just wanted to say I HATE Elixer strings, and all other coated strings I've played. So, not everyone wants the latest greatest. I'll stick with D'Addario's as well. I really wanted to say though, for nice shiny and smooth frets, Gorgomyte is the best stuff out there.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:34 am

Man I dig these old Asat's. I polished the frets, conditioned the board and generally cleaned it up a tad . This is the first Asat I purchased way back in the day. Now I have more than my share.

The D'Adarrio's sound and feel wonderful as always. These strings work well for my playing style but I am always willing to give something else a try. I had used DR.Blues for years but for me the D'Adarrio's feel wonderful at this point.

I also have been a "tool user' for the last 35 years and my hands are heavily muscled and callused. I might not feel everything that others feel in their finger tips. These strings do feel good to me and most importantly they sound great. Nothing like new strings!

This weekend, turn up your amp and meet your neighbors,

y2kc

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks for the PSA Suave. Going to try a few new ones at a discount.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Case24 wrote:I'm really enjoying the DR Pure Blues. They stay in tune really well once you stretch them in and sound great IMHO. I've only tried one set so far on my ASAT so take my opinion with a grain of salt but so far I'm very happy with them.

DR Pure Blues are great! I have switched to them for all my guitars.. Pure Nickel and sound great, just stretch em out!

I used to Play D'Addario early on and moved to Ernie Ball for a LONG time, I tried a set of Dean Markley Hendrix Pure Nickel Strings and LOVED them. When I couldn't get them anymore I found DR Pure Blues and I have been using them for about a year and a half..

Great Vintage tone and I use them on my locking and non-locking guitars and they sue round cores and feel great...
Mark
Last edited by MAP70 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Elwood wrote:Clean hands before playing .

elwood

I like the funk on my necks! LOL My 1991 EVH Ernie Ball has nice neck funk! :alright:

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:06 pm

MAP70 wrote:

elwood

I like the funk on my necks! LOL My 1991 EVH Ernie Ball has nice neck funk! :alright:

LOL...WE need a neck funk thread with pictures . I hear funk turns to mojo after a few years if
properly fed .

Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Elwood wrote:
MAP70 wrote:

elwood

LOL...WE need a neck funk thread with pictures . I hear funk turns to mojo after a few years if
properly fed .

I swear it sounds better with the funk on it! :evilgrin:

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:54 pm

What...no PICS????

I like D'Addario; I use the EJ or EXP strings on acoustics: mostly mediums, but one guitar gets lights and a couple get the -19 Bluegrass gauge. All my G&L have the DF Vibrato, so those get Fender Super Bullets. All the other electrics get....yep, D'Addario.

I know people swear by Elixir strings, but I will never use them again. My Taylor 710CE came with them, and I tried them for a while, but the guitar simply sounded better with the D'Addarios. And the Elixirs have higher tension, and I broke a lot of them. :evil:

One string you might try on the ASAT are the Fender Original Nickle strings, not the Bullets, but the ball ends. Not sure they make them in your gauge, but the pure nickel does have a softer, more vintage tone.

And I found that on my Comanche using the Fender Stainless Bullets was interesting. Stainless usually has very bright tone, but I have been really backing off the treble on my amps with these guitars, and the Stainless Bullets give a very focused midrange tone with just a bit of edge--very rock and roll.

Bill

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:59 am

Hey fellow Taylor-er, I have found the same thing with the Elixirs. Ended up switching to the D'Addario EXPs and have enjoyed them. I sent my Taylor to the factory for warrantee work and when it came back, I thought something was wrong with my treasured acoustic! :o Dull, lifeless. :yawn:

Then I realized that the new strings they put on were the Elixirs again. A quick string change and everything is good. :thumbup: They must have some deal with Elixir to keep putting them on there.

For electrics, the D'Addarios are OK but there are others I prefer more.