October 1982 Guitar Player w/G&L factory tour

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Anyone have the Oct. '82 Special equipment issuse ? I'll have to see if I do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Player-O ... 0607737749

It has a G&L Factory tour w/pics (borrowed from a present ebay auction) :

I also found this as I was googling guitarplayer mags , it's an application to put the Fender building on the historic register (last year) , there's some interesting reading :
http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/feature/p ... 000511.pdf

elwood

Re: October 1982 Guitar Player w/G&L factory tour

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks for sharing those articles Elwood. Great reding there. :D

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:25 am

Thank you for sharing this. I ran an ebay search for that issue and found one for less than four bucks shipped. Besides the article, it'll be interesting seeing if I remember all of the old ads.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:20 am

jmontgomery wrote:Thank you for sharing this. I ran an ebay search for that issue and found one for less than four bucks shipped. Besides the article, it'll be interesting seeing if I remember all of the old ads.

I'm glad this has surfaced, and more than happy to be a catalyst of sorts .
hehe ..So I would have bid against you a couple hours ago if I wasn't playing guitar, I was watching that one.
Maybe you could post some full scans sometime in the future . I still need to go through my old stack of GP's.

The old ad's are golden. Especially the little classifieds for makers that have done well.
Then there was the 'gizmotron' from Mike Beigel and co., that didn't work out so well for them
(Mike is the MuTron III inventor, who btw has just released a new envelope filter, the 'MuFX Trutron' )

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Elwood,
I have a copy of that issue but it has been a while since I've looked at it. There is a mistake in the first picture. The picture is of Lloyd Chewning not Vern. Picture number nine is of Wayne Copeland in the foreground and yours truly in the back booth. Picture number 11 is of Rick House who also used to work at CBS Musical Instruments.
Fred

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:43 am

Fred,
I was wondering if you were in the spray pic. I didn't notice there was more than one booth (was there two?),
I see ya now :greet:

(just noticed the smiley face on the panel to the left).

I haven't mentioned lately how good it is to have you around, so there ya go :D

cheers,
elwood

Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:57 pm

:searching: Fred Finisher:

ImageImage

(I got the joke......I just felt like making it easier to see him in the back.)

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:14 am

Elwood,
There were four booths in the finishing department. Three were used for bodies and one for necks. This picture is not very clear but I think George put a better picture of the department in one of his books. The booth in the back was mine which was next to the lacquer pump. Just to the right of my booth was a fifty five gallon drum of nitro that was piped to all the booths and fed by a heated pump. If you look carefully, you can see the two and a half gallon spray pots on the floor that were used for color. These contained the commonly used colors such as yellow, red, brown, black etc. Gold and silver were mixed when needed in cup guns because we did not use them as much.
It's good to be here even though I haven't had as much time to read posts lately.
Fred