March 06 B-day

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:14 pm

23 years ago today this neck got it's stamp.
The sigs probably were collected over the week after the 21st.

More updated pics to come.

elwood

Re: March 06 B-day

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:13 pm

I've been meaning to ask whether you ever found out the date it left the factory. Is this the one with the special fretboard?

Ken

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:31 pm

KenC wrote:I've been meaning to ask whether you ever found out the date it left the factory. Is this the one with the special fretboard?

Ken

I have a scan from the log book , I'll hunt that down.
Yes this has the multi-piece fretboard with an orange burst that matches the guitar .

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:34 pm

I've never had the orange-y neck on it...until recently ,
I took a few pics to share the fun:

Also makes polishing those frets a little easier on that other neck (it looks much better now).

So here's the patient and primary neck ready to breathe again -

mmmm ;)

A close up of the headstock and logo -

The heel , showing the fret board construction a bit -

Neck heel and pocket -

...another close up of the heel , it's hard to capture all the signatures in from one angle, I should make a pencil rubbing :idea:

And a star is born !

It's an amazing looking guitar now. as much as I like it before....THIS is the way someone envisioned it I'm sure.

When I first put on strings , and sat down to play...I looked down and instead of seeing alot of one color (maple, ebony...etc.) , I saw these nice ribbons with an orange burst creeping around the side.
It makes you smile, and that's a real plus when playing.
I looked for a picture that approximated my impressions . This New Mexico sunset get's pretty close;

I'll take some more pics now that it has new TI's that are making it look AND SOUND complete. :banana:

...off into the sunset for us now...

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:31 am

Elwood, of all the G&L's that I have seen, this one peaks the cool meter. That is one cool guitar. Happy birthday.-- Darwin

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:23 am

cool as can be !! ..... what is it and whats the story behind it ??

:banana:

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am

Fumble fingers wrote:cool as can be !! ..... what is it and whats the story behind it ??

Ditto Man! That thing is so unique. More info and thanx for the pics Elwood! :happy0065:

Guitars are just so cool aren't they? What a fun hobby.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:30 pm

The colours are, like you say, a sunset guitar. And the "Tele" top half is very good-looking, kind of grounds and strengthens the look. I really like it!

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:35 pm

wow.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:cool as can be !! ..... what is it and whats the story behind it ??

I think 3 total were made . Reserved for the G&L senior management no doubt (maybe to be shown at a NAMM exhibit?). I don't think a name was ever officially designated . There's some obvious ASAT DNA in there , I'd like to see the same guitar with some large MFD's (bridge pup angled)...but no one's complaining here.
I imagine the others are closet queens (someone prove me wrong !!..please ;) ) ...this one is getting played and lightly polished with every string change .

I'm still trying to fill some gaps in it's history . Were these George's designs? Who thought of using different woods for the fretboard? Are there blueprints in a roll or drawer that might shed some light on it's origins?
As I learn more of it's past I'll let y'all know.
Do I dare to change pickups in the future (strictly a humbucker swap is what I was thinking) ?

It's one of the most comfortable electrics I've played , someone had put some thought into ergonomics .
I'll keep the task of 'more pictures' on my front burner :D

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 am

Absolute gorgeous! Nice guitar Elwood. Keep the pics coming!

- Jos

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 am

Those are some body bevels worth revisiting!

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:43 am

JagInTheBag wrote:Those are some body bevels worth revisiting!

:D

reminds me of these ( not mine :( )

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Unreal.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 am

What a cool unique guitar/G&L . Definitely do a rubbing on the neck pocket for those signatures.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:00 am

I'll try and remember the next string change.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am

In my mind, the coolest G&L out there. Would love to have one like it.

Has anyone ever seen a similar Guitar? It's amazing what those guys are capable of coming up with considering where they work. There must be a small army of totally custom G&L's out there made as one-offs by employees just messin round in the shop.

Tom

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:52 am

And we have a winner.
The most amazing G& L is yours . It's so gorgeous, unique , rare .I could go on and on .
It would have been perfect if it was born the day before because March 5 is the best day of them all .
Enjoy her my friend