View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 G&L Superhawk 1985 

Post G&L Superhawk 1985
My new jewel !!
A G&L Superhawk from 1985 !!
Nice guitar , infinite sustain , great !! I'm very happy !!

ImageImageImage

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Post Re: G&L Superhawk 1985
sweet guitar !!

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:10 pm

thank you fumble fingers !!

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:28 pm

is the Super Hawk predecessor of the Invader and Climax ??

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:32 pm

I think so, it seems to me that those two models are come out shortly after 90. But I could be wrong :-)

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:
is the Super Hawk predecessor of the Invader and Climax ??

The Superhawk was released around the same time (~1984) as 2 other 'super-Strats': the Rampage and the Invader. That '80s Invader had 2 Skyhawk MFDs in neck and middle position, a Schaller (!) humbucker, and Kahler whammy with locking nut. The Climax was introduced in '93 in 3 pickup configurations using different combinations of Alnico single coils and G&L humbucker and Floyd Rose locking vibrato: s-s-h for the Climax, h-s-h for the Climax Plus, and h-h for the Climax XL. This model was discontinued within about 2 years. The Invader reentered the catalog in '97, again in 3 configurations now using blade humbuckers as found on the Legacy Special instead of MFD or Alnico single-coils combined with Seymour Duncan buckers as found on the ASAT Deluxe. A similar naming scheme as for the Climax was used to label the 3 configurations.

The body shapes are very different between the '80s Superhawk/Rampage/Invader and '90s Climax/Invader. The Superhawk you can see in the pictures above and is representative of the first group, the second group has a less rounded, more pointy Jackson like appearance still continued in the modern day Invader (scroll down to find this model).

I used George Fullerton's "Guitars from George & Leo" as my reference.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:04 pm
Profile WWW

Nice Superhawk!

Here are the mid '80's Rampage and Invader models.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Nice reds Steve! :happy0065:

Out of curiosity, what's the reason the Rampage don't have strings?

- Jos

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

franc15 wrote:
I think so, it seems to me that those two models are come out shortly after 90. But I could be wrong :-)

See this post in the G&L Knowledgebase: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:56 pm
Profile WWW

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Nice reds Steve! :happy0065:

Out of curiosity, what's the reason the Rampage don't have strings?

- Jos

Thank you, Jos. The Rampage was a restoration project. I took the photo before it was completed. I had to refinish the body and find the correct electronics for it.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 am

Sprinter 92 wrote:
.... and find the correct electronics for it.

or maybe the electronic
(unless you count the pickup)
:P

congrats on the Superhawk franc15 !

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:30 am

Elwood wrote:
Sprinter 92 wrote:
.... and find the correct electronics for it.

or maybe the electronic
(unless you count the pickup)
:P

I had to find the correct pickup, pot & capacitor for it. The guitar was a mess when I got it.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:11 am

Some great looking G&L superstrats on display in this thread... glad I checked in! And Jos that was a great short summary on the different rock guitars released by G&L, thank you. I have the book too, some very cool guitar pics in there. :thumbup:

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks to all of replays, I do learn a lot of things that I do not know, and also see photos of your guitars is so cool!
I have this guitar since mid-January, and I can not stop playing it. I've always played with a Hamer Centaura I bought in 1991, but since 2010 I was using a Gibson Studio. But guys, it's fabulous! I have always talked about the quality of the G & L, and they were right!

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Franc15,

Is your Superhawk's bridge a standard DFV or fine-tuner model? I can tell from your photo that it's not the typical Kahler. Would you mind posting a closer photo of it?

Ken

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Hello Ken, should be the original one, certainly not a model fine-tuning. I post the photo, and I will surely like to know what you think!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:02 pm

That looks original to me! Your 'Hawk must have been a custom order. According to the 1985 price list, they came standard with a chrome Kahler, with an option to upgrade to a black Kahler. I don't think I've ever seen a DFV on a Superhawk before.

Here's my '86 Superhawk with the standard chrome Kahler:

Ken

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:24 pm

hello ken, you're right, usually mounts the kahler, but I think this is actually born so since there are no signs of it locking nut, it has been fitted with cutouts for the kahler before. who knows! (Like you understand my English is helped by google trans., So please excuse any imperfection)
:-)

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:10 pm

KenC wrote:
That looks original to me! Your 'Hawk must have been a custom order. According to the 1985 price list, they came standard with a chrome Kahler, with an option to upgrade to a black Kahler. I don't think I've ever seen a DFV on a Superhawk before.

Here's my '86 Superhawk with the standard chrome Kahler:

Ken

Another fine looking Superhawk! Just curious, is the fretboard ebony or rosewood? And how is that Kahler? :D

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:27 pm

franc15 wrote:
hello ken, you're right, usually mounts the kahler, but I think this is actually born so since there are no signs of it locking nut, it has been fitted with cutouts for the kahler before. who knows! (Like you understand my English is helped by google trans., So please excuse any imperfection)
:-)

I understand you perfectly. :thumbup: I agree that your DFV appears to be original to the guitar. Kahlers were standard on Superhawks, but a DFV could have been requested by the customer and installed at the factory instead of the Kahler. There are two others besides yours in the Registry. That's part of the joy of old G&Ls - anything was possible, and they were all unique in some way!

I'd love to see a closer shot of the headstock. G&Ls made with Kahlers had a locking nut. Here's an example from 1986:

Up through late 1987, G&Ls with DFVs or hard tails had this kind of string retainer:

Ken

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:12 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:

Another fine looking Superhawk! Just curious, is the fretboard ebony or rosewood? And how is that Kahler? :D

Thanks! The fretboard is ebony, but like all Leo-era G&Ls the ebony was not dyed black. It has the typical (for G&L, at least) striking grain pattern that's found in natural ebony. I will see if I can dig up a close-up of the neck and post it here. The 'Hawk is overdue for some strumming...

I'm not a big whammy bar user, but I love the Kahler's fine tuners. I have two '86 G&L with Kahlers, and have not problem with tuning stability or loss of tone on either. My ASATs are both maple/ebony, and I can't tell any difference in tone or sustain between the hard tail and the Kahler.

Ken

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:19 pm

KenC wrote:
HowlinWolf wrote:

Thanks! The fretboard is ebony, but like all Leo-era G&Ls the ebony was not dyed black. It has the typical (for G&L, at least) striking grain pattern that's found in natural ebony. I will see if I can dig up a close-up of the neck and post it here. The 'Hawk is overdue for some strumming...

I'm not a big whammy bar user, but I love the Kahler's fine tuners. I have two '86 G&L with Kahlers, and have not problem with tuning stability or loss of tone on either. My ASATs are both maple/ebony, and I can't tell any difference in tone or sustain between the hard tail and the Kahler.

Ken

I actually was going to ask about that locking nut, but I know the answer - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5057. But I've heard that the locking nut leaves much to be desired though...
Just a couple other quick questions about your Superhawk - what is the nut width? And how does the neck feel like? Thanks. :)

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:37 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:

I actually was going to ask about that locking nut, but I know the answer - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5057. But I've heard that the locking nut leaves much to be desired though...
Just a couple other quick questions about your Superhawk - what is the nut width? And how does the neck feel like? Thanks. :)

The Superhawk hasn't been getting much playing time lately. I go through periods where it goes to the top of the rotation, and that may be happening again now!

As I mentioned in the thread you linked to, I hadn't been bothering to use the locking nut on the Superhawk. I took the time (all of five minutes) to dial in the setup on my Kahler-equipped ASAT, and have had no problems with tuning stability. I use the fine tuners on the bridge, and everything is wonderful. I'm about to do the same to the 'Hawk.

The 'Hawk has the original #3 (or #III, as the old price lists had it) neck. It's 1.75" at the nut, and has a 12" radius. I find it to be very comfortable. When I bought it I was in a big Sonic Youth phase, and tried quite a few tunings on her...which reminds me why I never bothered with the locking nut. I had plenty of room to work open chord shapes all the way up the neck.

Ken

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm

KenC wrote:

The Superhawk hasn't been getting much playing time lately. I go through periods where it goes to the top of the rotation, and that may be happening again now!

As I mentioned in the thread you linked to, I hadn't been bothering to use the locking nut on the Superhawk. I took the time (all of five minutes) to dial in the setup on my Kahler-equipped ASAT, and have had no problems with tuning stability. I use the fine tuners on the bridge, and everything is wonderful. I'm about to do the same to the 'Hawk.

The 'Hawk has the original #3 (or #III, as the old price lists had it) neck. It's 1.75" at the nut, and has a 12" radius. I find it to be very comfortable. When I bought it I was in a big Sonic Youth phase, and tried quite a few tunings on her...which reminds me why I never bothered with the locking nut. I had plenty of room to work open chord shapes all the way up the neck.

Ken

Cool, thanks for all the info Ken, rock on! :)

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:09 am

Grats on the Hawk Franc ! the Superhawk is my favorite model and yours is pretty unique . Enjoy !

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:50 am

Hello everyone, I put the link to the photos in high resolution if you can be of interest.
http://www.photopoints.com/#photographer/27849/franco-crepaldi
Ken, please, I realized that DFV is the bridge that mounts my guitar, but could you please explain what this symbol means? thanks

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:23 pm
Site Admin

franc15 wrote:
Hello everyone, I put the link to the photos in high resolution if you can be of interest.
Ken, please, I realized that DFV is the bridge that mounts my guitar, but could you please explain what this symbol means? thanks

DFV = Dual Fulcrum Vibrato

http://www.glguitars.com/features/DF-vibrato.asp

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:40 pm
Profile WWW

Franc15,

The photo of the headstock is interesting. I've never seen a plastic string tree used on an '85 G&L. It would normally have been the squared metal type (see the photo of my Skyhawk earlier in this thread). If somebody had swapped a metal one out, there would have been obvious holes in the headstock - which aren't there in your photo. The original owner must have requested that string tree along with the DFV when the guitar was ordered.

I think you have a one-of-a-kind 'Hawk there!

Ken

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:32 am

ImageImageImageImage
Hello everyone, thank you for explanations about the bridge and the cord lock. If I would like to ask two other things, since I seem to have figured out that you are the true authority on the subject! :-)
I bought the guitar as well as you see it in January of this year, but another thing at this point it seems strange: the mechanical sperzel were standard? And then I'd like to know if there is a way, or is possible through serial numbers or something who was the first to have it purchased. I put a few more details, and thank you again.
PS.: for the high resolutions same way :-)

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Seeing the back of the headstock, this might be newer than 1985. The serial number is high for that year, and I don't believe locking Sperzels were being used yet in '85. I wonder if this Superhawk could be from later in the '80s. The plastic string trees replaced the metal ones in late '87. I haven't seen a sticker like the "062189" one in the back route before. Could it mean June 21, 1989 as a build date?

Ken

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:19 pm

KenC wrote:
I haven't seen a sticker like the "062189" one in the back route before. Could it mean June 21, 1989 as a build date?

Ken

Yep, I have had a few with the body date as a price type sticker . They are under the finish.
Here's a Skyhawk body from halloween '88 :

(Ignore the newer tremelo and misaligned springs, she's just getting put back together.

Last edited by Elwood on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:25 pm

The link won't open. It goes to a window that says "bad request".

Ken

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:46 am

Hi, some years later !
I've got the same unusual SuperHawk, same Sperzel locking tuners, same dual fulcrum vibrato, same wood for the neck and fretboard, but different finish...
And it's not from 1985 but 1991 !
http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6548

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]