New Skyhawk Day

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Hey, G&L'ers!

My family is growing. I bought this 1984 Skyhawk from Greg Gagliano the other day. It's got a maple body, ebony board. Makes a nice companion to my '85 S-500.

I took it to my rehearsal space today and put it through the paces. First of all, and this surprised me, the Skyhawk pickups are considerably hotter than the S-500. This is probably due to their being set up to be closer to the strings than the S-500 pickups. Also, I keep the pole pieces flat across the pickups on the S-500; GG has the Skyhawk pickups set up like a Strat -- staggered to go along with the fingerboard radius. It plays amazingly well. Similar neck to the S-500 though a little thicker. It felt fantastic as soon as I picked it up.

The Skyhawk is very jangly, a little ragged. It struck me as a rock-and-roll machine, whereas my S-500 is very, very sweet (jangle and sweetness may actually be mutually exclusive properties for guitars). In very general terms, the Skyhawk reminds me more of a Strat; the S-500 leans a bit more Tele-ish. I'm not sure how much these differences I'm noticing have to do with the pickup/pole-piece heights, or other differences between the guitars. These are just my first impressions. I'll know a lot more when I play it with the band.

I still look in on this forum from time to time, though as I'm generally not very GASSY, I usually just lurk. I've been exceedingly happy with my S-500 since I got it a few years ago. My band is about to release an album and the S-500 is all over it. It's pretty much the only guitar I play actually, live or in studio. We'll see if the Skyhawk ends up making some appearances or simply becomes a backup (which is why I wanted it anyway).

Re: New Skyhawk Day

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 pm

beautiful !! .... I have never played with the pole pieces either ..... maybe it's worth trying

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:01 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:beautiful !! .... I have never played with the pole pieces either ..... maybe it's worth trying

Thanks, Fumble fingers! Yeah, I've always noticed that the S-500 had a "hollow-ish" sound that has always reminded me a bit of Telecasters. I've always loved the sound, and as I'm superstitious, I've never adjusted the pole pieces or pickup heights. I'll be experimenting with the Skyhawk in this regard.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:49 am

Sweet!

I am new to this forum and to G&L's but I know that name. Greg Gagliano helped me date a couple of my amps about 15 years ago! It took some work back then to get the information.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:12 am

El Fug, sweet combo. I agree with your take on the 500. The Skyhawk is probably a super strat.-- Darwin

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:32 am

fianoman wrote:Sweet!

I am new to this forum and to G&L's but I know that name. Greg Gagliano helped me date a couple of my amps about 15 years ago! It took some work back then to get the information.

Greg was a pleasure to deal with. And his website is indispensable for all things G&L (and Fender and Ampeg amps).

darwinohm wrote:El Fug, sweet combo. I agree with your take on the 500. The Skyhawk is probably a super strat.-- Darwin

Thanks, Darwin. I'm dying to get back into the rehearsal room to peel off some more paint!

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:25 pm

Very nice!

Bill

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:49 pm

El Fug wrote:Hey, G&L'ers!

My family is growing. I bought this 1984 Skyhawk from Greg Gagliano the other day. It's got a maple body, ebony board. Makes a nice companion to my '85 S-500.

I took it to my rehearsal space today and put it through the paces. First of all, and this surprised me, the Skyhawk pickups are considerably hotter than the S-500. This is probably due to their being set up to be closer to the strings than the S-500 pickups. Also, I keep the pole pieces flat across the pickups on the S-500; GG has the Skyhawk pickups set up like a Strat -- staggered to go along with the fingerboard radius. It plays amazingly well. Similar neck to the S-500 though a little thicker. It felt fantastic as soon as I picked it up.

The Skyhawk is very jangly, a little ragged. It struck me as a rock-and-roll machine, whereas my S-500 is very, very sweet (jangle and sweetness may actually be mutually exclusive properties for guitars). In very general terms, the Skyhawk reminds me more of a Strat; the S-500 leans a bit more Tele-ish. I'm not sure how much these differences I'm noticing have to do with the pickup/pole-piece heights, or other differences between the guitars. These are just my first impressions. I'll know a lot more when I play it with the band.

I still look in on this forum from time to time, though as I'm generally not very GASSY, I usually just lurk. I've been exceedingly happy with my S-500 since I got it a few years ago. My band is about to release an album and the S-500 is all over it. It's pretty much the only guitar I play actually, live or in studio. We'll see if the Skyhawk ends up making some appearances or simply becomes a backup (which is why I wanted it anyway).

They are both outstanding! :thumbup:

In case you missed this post in the G&L Knowledgebase, it might be informative: S-500 single coil size pickups on early 80's model.

:ugeek:

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:Very nice!

Bill

Thank you, Boogie Bill! Nice to hear from you!!!

Craig wrote:
They are both outstanding! :thumbup:

In case you missed this post in the G&L Knowledgebase, it might be informative: S-500 single coil size pickups on early 80's model.

:ugeek:

Thank you, Craig! Yes, I've read (and reread) that piece by Gabe Dellevigne. His writings about old G&Ls (along with Boogie Bill's "Comanches for Dummies" for more recent vintage instruments) are the best source of information about the Leo-era instruments that I've come across.