'87 asat close to Grosh Electrajet?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:27 pm

before you say it...yes i already asked there.

love my 87' asat but i want a trem and jumbo frets. since asats with df and sc-2s from this time aren't common i've started to look into other similar guitars. hope this still qualifies for this forum. : ) the grosh electrajet with g-90s seems close. anyone have experience with it? any other suggestions? hard to find an electrajet around here to play.

thanks.

Re: '87 asat close to Grosh Electrajet?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Yes they are hard to find. I do not have the EJ but a Vintage T with a modern bridge. It is a stellar guitar. The attention to detail is unbeatable down to the cavity shielding. There is nothing overlooked in Dons builds. They are expensive, even used and you don't see many of them around probably because of that. The neck and fretwork on mine is spectacular. On his website Don talks about tapping woods. Who knows for sure what makes them what they are but if you follow the Grosh forum you will find that the owners are passionate about them and love them. In my opinion the EJ would be a great guitar to try out if you can find one and I suggest that you check ebay to see what they have been selling for on the used market. I recently saw a used Retro S (Strat Type) and it was well worn and yet I was surprised at the price. It was not low. It is not fair to make a comparison to a G&L as they are a true boutique build and new are more than double what we pay for a G&L. What one has to ask is are they really worth that. I am glad to have mine.-- Darwin

Here are a couple of photos of the Retro T.

Re: '87 asat close to Grosh Electrajet?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:48 pm

thanks for the info. well, i'm going to try and lay my hands on one. been watching ebay and cl.

didn't know the cavity was shielded. after having a few buzzy strats i always wondered why manufactures didn't spend more on shielding. i would have payed double the price of that feature on many occasions.