Guitars with jumbo MDFs and DF?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Besides an sc-2, sc-1, and asat (later deluxe) with optional tremelo is there anything else out there with MFD jumbo pickups and a trem?

i'm operating on the assumption that the jumbo MFDs sound very different from the standard single coil MFDs. True? Would a p-90 be worth considering as a jumbo MFD sub?

thanks.

Re: Guitars with jumbo MDFs and DF?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Yes, I have an Asat Special with the DF vibrato. It has the large MFD's and is the perfect guitar. -- Darwin

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:34 pm

darwinohm wrote:Yes, I have an Asat Special with the DF vibrato. It has the large MFD's and is the perfect guitar. -- Darwin
well

i tell my daughter it's not nice to tease. : )

i was thinking it might be a perfect guitar. something that sounds like my asat but has a trem. where do i get one? is there anything else less rare that sounds similar?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:59 pm

you can still buy a new ASAT Special with the DF and big MFD's .... they are hard to find on older ASAT's and most likely to have a Kahler trem instead of the DF

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:you can still buy a new ASAT Special with the DF and big MFD's .... they are hard to find on older ASAT's and most likely to have a Kahler trem instead of the DF

that would be easy. but i've yet to hear a new g&l that sounds as sweet as my 87' asat so my theory is i should buy vintage...or whatever leo era stuff is considered.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:46 pm

have ebay give you a email alert if a older ASAT with DF comes up for sale ..... ebay had a 86 ASAT with a Kahler about a month ago that a member here won the auction

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 am

Fumble fingers wrote:have ebay give you a email alert if a older ASAT with DF comes up for sale ..... ebay had a 86 ASAT with a Kahler about a month ago that a member here won the auction

Leo era tremolo equipped Asat's are hard to find. It took me forever to find the one Fumble Fingers is referring to. Most of them had Kahler tremolos, but the G&L dual fulcrum and fine tuner models were offered as an option in the very late 80's early 90's time period. They also made a few early Asat Classics with tremolos.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:59 pm

this is one of the stories of my life. i'm always into the hard to get stuff.

i just want some great tone with a trem. it seems simple. i found an sc-2 near me today...no trem!

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:06 am

Hey cporro,

keep your eyes open on ebay, craigslist, gbase, and guitar center used they do show up every now and then. Who knows, a fellow GLDP member could have one they would let go if yer very lucky as mine was below! :evilgrin: Happy hunting....

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:37 am

sam wrote:Hey cporro,
keep your eyes open on ebay, craigslist, gbase, and guitar center used they do show up every now and then. Who knows, a fellow GLDP member could have one they would let go if yer very lucky as mine was below! :evilgrin: Happy hunting....

i like who that guitar has no... covers? i never liked pick guards.

i'm am keeping an eye out. don't know about gbase. will look. also found this thing called reverb witch looks to be ebay for musicians. thanks.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Although I do not make a point of using the vibrato arm I think adds value to this guitar but I cannot think of a good analogy to explain why.

This is a very cool looking guitar.

Is that a birdseye maple top or is it quilted?

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:08 am

Thanks Mr Salmon, it is a birdseye top. I will borrow my wife's new fancy camera and take some pictures this weekend to hopefully show it clearer. Like you I am not a regular trem user but this thing has as much sparkle as any guitar I own and the wiggle stick is fun every now and then.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Wow, Sam, nice.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:45 pm

I have an ASAT Deluxe with a DF Vibrato option. Very nice, versatile guitar. I say order one!

Bill

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Hey Bill,

Come on, show yers, I remember you posted it in the past and thinking that is one I could go for. :banana:

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:25 pm

While you are at it would you mind showing the Les Paul collection as well?

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:10 pm

You mean this old thing?

Sorry for the camera flash reflections. I keep thinking I should sell this one because I don't use it very often, but it would take a lot of dough to pry it from me.

And these are a few for Salmon--four of the eleven--the redheads.
From left to right:

2005 Gibson 1958 Gloss Plain Top Historic Reissue (R8) Les Paul--all stock, and a big fat neck. I also have a 2006 '59 Reissue and two of the Guitar Center 1960 Tobaccoburst VOS models from 2009. Wonderful guitars--and the Tobaccobursts are probably my favorite of all my Pauls.

Next is "Lolita", a 1996 Gibson 1960 Classic Premium Plus Les Paul--fitted with a Gotoh LW aluminum tailpiece, reflector knobs, and Duncan Custom Shop 50th Anniversary A2 Seth Lover PAFs. I also have a 1997 Honeyburst Premium Plus with Duncan Antiquity PAFs and the Gotoh, aka "Les".

2006 Gibson Les Paul Supreme--fitted with a Gotoh LW aluminum tailpiece; this guitar has a broken headstock, I was able to buy it from Guitar Center for virtually pennies on the dollar. This one is "Jake". I do not like the pickups (Gibson 490R/498T) and hope to change them soon I also have a second Supreme in Root Beer, "Diana Ross"--bought in identical circumstance--a broken headstock. This one has Duncan Seth Lovers. These guitars are chambered, and feature a 5A flamed maple cap on the back, as well as the front.

Finally, the girl who got her lipstick on crooked! The one on the right is a 2007 model from the Gibson "Guitar Of The Week" series. This is a Les Paul Classic Antique; the design is by graphic artist Tom Morgan. This one is stock, and the pickups are a Classic '57 neck and Classic '57 Plus in the bridge. Very light in weight, as they are also chambered--I think this one is just under eight pounds. Nearly as resonant as the Historics, they are proof that a chambered Les Paul can still rock. Guys hate this finish, but women seem to just love it--I have actually been surrounded by women at jam sessions who don't know crap about guitars--but they want to see this one. I have another Paul from this series, also a Classic Antique, with Gibson's unique Fireburst finish. It shades from black on the bottom, through cherry and then finally yellow at the top. Also very pretty and distinctive.

My other Les Paul is a Custom Shop Elegant in Peacock Blue. Amazing flame and color. It has an compound radius ebony board with abalone crowns, rather than the pearl. Pickups are '57 Classics, and a chambered body. This one, along with the 1960 Classics and the Classic Antiques have the Slim Taper neck.

I need to take some more pics of the others.

Here's a close-up of the '58 and Lolita. The camera does not capture the incredible gradation of color on Lolita as it transitions from the cherry, to tangerine, to the center yellow. Beautiful 3D flame.

And these are three of my favorite Legacys. The Blonde on the left is my "Mary Kaye", a 3-bolt with gold hardware everywhere but the bridge. Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot pickups. The Butterscotch Blonde Legacy Special in the middle is "Marilyn Monroe"--note the ebony board. You can't really see the heavy birdseye on the Gun Oil Tint neck. It's a heavy guitar and it really sings through the Mesa amps. The Fullerton Red Legacy is "Jo-Jo", also a GOT neck. Red hot and ready to rock!

I hope you enjoyed the drool session. Thanks for asking!

Bill

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm

check out the market place ... bad azz 1991 ASAT III with a humbucker and DF

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Oh yes, I saw the marketplace almost upon placement! :smoking030: Would chase that but Jos will probably beat me to it :lol:
Sweet set up, would like to know more about the bridge pup.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:41 pm

That does have Jos's name all over it ...lol

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Bill,

Thank you for posting the pictures. Those are beautiful guitars......Les Pauls and Legacys.

I especially like Lolita and the Supreme to our immediate right in the picture.

Knowing your nomenclature are the unnamed girls homebodies?

Do you consider new Les Pauls decent instruments?

I'd love to see more if you feel like posting more.

Sam,

I am also waiting for your pictures taken with the wife's fancy camera.

Thanks again!

EDIT: to fix scrambled lines.
Last edited by Salmon on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Bill,

Just as I remembered, that deluxe has a nice flame and not too dark. If you do decide it's not for you, keep me in mind. ;)

Salmon,

Here are a couple of pics, this may show the birdseye a bit better. Photography is not my forte so I am sure the camera could do better.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Not chasing. Just saying ….

- Jos

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:04 am

Gorgeous! Thank you Sam.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Salmon wrote:Bill,

Thank you for posting the pictures. Those are beautiful guitars......Les Pauls and Legacys.

I especially like Lolita and the Supreme to our immediate right in the picture.

Knowing your nomenclature are the unnamed girls homebodies?

Do you consider new Les Pauls decent instruments?

I'd love to see more if you feel like posting more.
EDIT: to fix scrambled lines.

Unfortunately, those are the only ones I have pix of, at the moment. Gonna have to do some work and get busy with the camera. The Tom Morgan Artist on the right is definitely an "acquired taste".

None of my guitars are homebodies. I haven't been gigging a lot these days, but all of them have been, and will continue to be, used at a gig or jam session.

I love my Legacy-bodied G&Ls, but when I want humbucking tone, it is hard to be a good Les Paul or ES-335. And yes, new Les Pauls are very good. While Gibson does make some mediocre budget and mid-line instruments, if you spend the bucks you can get a great guitar. I love the Custom Shop Historic Les Pauls--without a doubt, they are my favorites. But you may be able to find other versions of the Paul that would suit you. Every now and then, Gibson will do a custom run of instruments for Guitar Center, and those have been very nice. The mid-'90s 1960 Classics with the Slim-Taper necks, especially the Plus and Premium Plus versions like Lolita, are upgradable to about 90% of the vibe of the Historics, but the Historics just have a certain feel and tone that is hard to beat. ( I'd pass on a 1960 Classic new than about 1998 though.) I feel like some of the manufacturers like Gibson, G&L, Martin, Fender Custom Shop, Taylor, et. al. are really in a new "Golden Age" of luthery. There are some fine instruments out there.

Bill

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks Bill.