best trade EVER , ASAT 87

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:38 pm

So, had this Fullerton Signature for a while, always hated it, sounded sterile and the V shaped neck REALLY bothered me, could never get used to it.

Ive had the guitar up for sale for months, had a few guys trying out the guitar and all said the same thing about the neck... awful :thumbdown: !

Then, out of nowhere this guys emails me and asked if I would be interested trading the Strat for his Asat.Got back to him saying I already owned an awesome T model Nash ( which I traded an asat classic for a few months back) so wasnt really into this trade thing.Then I decided to email him back.Since I couldnt sell the Fullerton , I figured "maybe" I might like to play his Asat.So Ive asked a bunch of questions, got back saying it was a 1993 Asat Special , so I thought those big MFD pickups might be a nice addition to my quiver and went ahead met with the guy :thumbup:

As soon as he pulled it out of the case and saw the headstock I knew no way this is was 93 , plus the thing weights a TON :evilgrin: Then I plugged it in and right off the bad , looked at him and thought " why on earth would someone want to get rid of such a fantastic instrument !!!! " It plays like butter and sounds even better ! . . . Like WOW !

Anyhow, Im very excited about it, turned out the neck is stamped Sept 87 and the body Aug 87. .. Not sure it was was a good trade value wise but I couldnt care less, no way will I ever sell this one !

I will post some better picture soon, well once I figured out how to post images on here ! lol

Here's my first try with crappy phone pics :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidfourn ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidfourn ... otostream/

Re: best trade EVER , ASAT 87

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:46 pm

I can't get the pictures and the suspense is killing me. An '87 Asat is a good trade. I kinda like the "V" neck on my Fullerton.

80's Asats are nice guitars and Yes, most are on the heavy side.

y2kc

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:50 pm

looks beautiful .... if your happy with it and you didn't like the Fullerton then it sounds like you made out !

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 pm

I opened the pictures in a different window. It is really nice. I don't know if I could get by the weight but is sure is sweet! -- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:07 pm

thanks guys, are those early Asat rare-iiish ? I had never seen that headstock before and Ive owned a few G&L before...

This one got a soul for sure and it feels very special, no comparaison with my other G&L ( which were all fun guitars but no where near this oldie :thumbup: )

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Ash and ebony and black hardware...yummers : )

I found a way to get to the image url ...

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Oh BABY!

ASAT any day of the week for me and that just looks like a tone machine. :alright:

As you say weighs a TON I am hearing sustain for days. Congrats on the deal, sounds like a true WIN /WIN.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:59 pm

That is just a guitar to play while sitting down.

Just watch out for the arm strain when you pull it out of the case or off the stand.

That is really classy looking.

Is that your living room in the other pictures?

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Yeah , Im sitting most of the time when I play anyway, weight does not bother one bit...

Not sure my scale is all that accurate but just weighted it at 9.8 LBS..What is that saying for wood ?

- Elwood , can you tell just by the look of it or just assumed its ash ?

@ nearly 10 pounds it would surely be the heaviest ash guitar Ive ever played

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Congrats on a Sweet Trade. Yah, Nice one! Alot of them are heavy but the sound, fit & finish can't be beat.... and live they cut thru the mix.... I have a '90 ASAT SIg and everytime I've played live with it , someone comments on how good it sounds.... They were called the REAL ones for a reason.

Even Mr. Greene dug 'em...
phpBB [video]

Cheers,
KF

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 pm

tuumbaq wrote:

I am going by the pictures ( and they were ash or maple, so that would point to ash).
Northern Ash is dense and relatively heavy , unlike swamp or southern ash which I'm guessing is what the other
ash guitars are that you played.

Congrats !!

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:08 pm

Elwood wrote:
tuumbaq wrote:

I am going by the pictures ( and they were ash or maple, so that would point to ash).
Northern Ash is dense and relatively heavy , unlike swamp or southern ash which I'm guessing is what the other

Congrats !!

Sure looks like ash to me--and that is one heavy ASAT.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Elwood wrote:
tuumbaq wrote:

Congrats !!

thanks dude

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 am

What a beauty!! Congrats!!

- Jos

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 am

Saw it, good trade.

y2kc

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:33 am

This must be a first: an ASAT that outweighs my Peavey T-60!

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:00 pm

That was an awesome trade on your end! Hopefully the guy with Fullerton is just as happy.

Your ASAT is definitely ash. The grain is really nicely balanced. Somebody at the factory made sure that the two pieces matched perfectly. If you look at the headstock photo, you'll see how clear finish looks over maple - much whiter and with less prominent grain than your ASAT's body. I don't think I've ever seen an original clear finish over a maple body on a Leo-era G&L.

I just weighed my maple '86 ASATs. One is right at 8.0 lbs, and the other is 8.5. While the scale was out I checked the ash El Toro and maple Interceptor Bass (both from 1986). They have the exact same electronics and neck profile, and just differ in terms of the body shape and contours. The ash El Toro is about a pound heavier than the maple Interceptor.

Elwood wrote:Ash and ebony and black hardware...yummers : )

I agree with "yummers", but I'm not sure about ebony. Your fretboard is a lot more uniform in color than any of my Leo-era ebony boards. I'm guessing rosewood, which still looks very tasty with that ash body!

Ken

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:48 pm

I'll buy into that school of thought Ken.
(funny that the usual argument for ebony is uniformity, but we know better ;) )

I really like how the fretboard's endgrain is spotlighted under a glassy finish .

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:02 pm

I was never a rosewood fan, until my Interceptor Bass arrived. That fretboard did it for me. G&L had some incredible rosewood back in those days!

Ken

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks for the info KenC...Im totally in love with that guitar, so surprised how good that is !

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:07 pm

I don't even like ASATs, but that is a nice guitar! Enjoy!

Bill