Glossy Neck Finish - ASAT Special Tribute

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:30 am

I have an ASAT Tribute Special coming from Musiciand Friend that will have the glossy neck finish on it. All of my other G&L's have the satin finish. Curious if anyone has ever removed the finish. Is the neck still sealed below the gloss? I have done this on other imports that have a thick glossy finish that were still sealed once removed. Hopefully it will not make much of a difference, but if it does, has anyone here ever removed it?

These are on sale by the way and I could not resist.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... tid=460998

Re: Glossy Neck Finish - ASAT Special Tribute

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:28 am

Wellllllll, I guess not.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 am

Sam, I will post my thoughts on this. I know there are guys on the forum who have done this. I haven't. I happen to like gloss necks, especially in poly. They are not sticky especially if waxed. I have several G&L necks that were satin and after using for a while they become glossy. The satin finish on the necks is quite thin. I think that if you sanded a gloss neck with 1500 grit wet sandpaper you may remove the gloss without removing very much of the finish. It is still going to gloss up with use. I suggest trying the gloss neck for a while and you may like it. I recently refinished a bass neck with Caseys Tru Oil and buffed it too a high gloss and it is very slippery for me. Nitro gloss necks become sticky very quickly and I find that wax takes care of them especially if you wax it before using them. I saw Johnny Hiland about a year ago and he sprayed his neck with something just before he started playing.--Darwin

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks darwinohm, I will give it a try first, but was curious if it was done before. I noticed after I ordered, the same model in blueburst comes with a satin neck, but I already have two blueburst. It might work out but like I said, I was curious of the results. These are still on sale for [actual price removed by Admin] shipped by the way as of 11/19

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:39 am

SamIV wrote:Thanks darwinohm, I will give it a try first, but was curious if it was done before. I noticed after I ordered, the same model in blueburst comes with a satin neck, but I already have two blueburst. It might work out but like I said, I was curious of the results. These are still on sale for [actual price removed by Admin] shipped by the way as of 11/19

SamIV,

Please see this post: guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines.
We are not allowed to post prices for new G&L instruments and that is why I have edited your past posts which you have included new prices.
So, please don't post new prices. Posting used instrument prices are fine but just make sure to note that the price is for a used item.

Thanks.

:ugeek:

Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:30 pm

I have to admit I did not read the G&LDP Guidlines posted on this site and should have. Just finished reading it and do understand why.

Will not happen again.

SamIV

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:27 am

Ordered the guitar on Sunday and received the guitar yesterday evening, Wednesday. Very nice looking guitar, set up to my liking. Intonation was correct and to my surprise, it will not require any fret work. The frets are smooth and very level. Maybe I got lucky. I am quite happy with the guitar. Sounds great but different than my Classic. I know it is not a MIA ASAT, but these are quite the guitar for the money. The finish on the neck is different, but it's ok so far. Will try and get some pics later this week.