G&L Legacy One Hundred Amplifier

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum. I am an amp technician and was just brought two chassis, one marked with 'Legacy One Hundred' and branded with the G&L logo, loaded with parts, although it has breadboard inside and looks like something someone was tweaking. I also received an aluminum chassis that was milled for being populated with transformers and it has an unpopuated PCB inside with 'Guitars by Leo, Fullerton California' printed on the board. This happened about 30 minutes ago, and I am trying to find out any information on these amps since I have never come across these before and I have serviced and seen thousands of amps and many many brands. I would appreciate any information you folks may have on this.

Thanks!

Re: G&L Legacy One Hundred Amplifier

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Maybe some proto's for the whippersnapper amp?
The WhipperSnapper was a G&L tube amp that never quite made it to production.
Are the Chassis/boards you have for a tube amp?

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4895

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:49 pm

wiktoramps wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum. I am an amp technician and was just brought two chassis, one marked with 'Legacy One Hundred' and branded with the G&L logo, loaded with parts, although it has breadboard inside and looks like something someone was tweaking. I also received an aluminum chassis that was milled for being populated with transformers and it has an unpopuated PCB inside with 'Guitars by Leo, Fullerton California' printed on the board. This happened about 30 minutes ago, and I am trying to find out any information on these amps since I have never come across these before and I have serviced and seen thousands of amps and many many brands. I would appreciate any information you folks may have on this.

Thanks!

I know just a little about them. They were prototypes built by Bedrock Amps for G&L. I've seen pictures of the Legacy 100 and Legacy 50 when they showed up on eBay in 2006 or so.
Here's the picture of the Legacy 100:

I think one of our GbL members with the handle of Comanche 5 was selling it. You might try contacting him by via his email in the User Profiles section.

Elwood wrote:Maybe some proto's for the whippersnapper amp?
The WhipperSnapper was a G&L tube amp that never quite made it to production.
Are the Chassis/boards you have for a tube amp?

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4895

The Legacy 100 and 50 pre-dates the Whippersnapper.

Hope this helps some. I'd love to hear any information you might find about these.

:ugeek:

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:32 pm

Craig wrote:

The Legacy 100 and 50 pre-dates the Whippersnapper.

:ugeek:

Thanks Craig, BTW, looks like a fun amp , sorta wish that had hit the sales floor .

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks for the information so far! From what I can see from the picture of the production run amp, I appear to have the original engineering sample from which the actual PCB layout was designed from. As you will note in the pictures, the controls are on the opposite side (ala early Marshall amps which were the Bassman 5f6a flipped upside down), and the reverb driver circuit (solid state interestingly enough) is on a prototyping board. The blank chassis and PCB match the image of the completed amp in the picture Craig posted. These came to me from a friend who was hired to clear out a warehouse somewhere north of Boston. Interestingly enough I believe Bedrock amps were made in New Hampshire. He said these (along with two bedrock amps with similar prototyping internals) were in a back room in a storage cabinet. He was scrapping the cabinet when he heard something inside and voila here we are. I havent had a chance to power anything up, theres a fair amount of surface rust on the completed chassis, and the sockets look like they could be corroded. The transformers are Mercury Magnetics and they are dated hi-potted from 1994. For posterity I think I will reverse engineer the circuit, I'd be curious to see what the topology for the amp was. I will continue to share what I learn here as much as time permits.

Heres the face, note the orientation of input and controls

Here is the internals, very untidy lead dress, as any other techs may note

Here is the unpopulated chassis and pcb, looks like it never made it back to the factory