Which "feels" thinner, a #1a or #1b? Also, C vs. U (1d)?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Curious from folks who have actually played them what their impressions were. IMO the "shoulder" carve makes as much differences as the front to back measurement. I've played plenty of necks that didn't measure that big front to back, but felt huge due to the shoulder carve.

Re: Which "feels" thinner, a #1a or #1b? Also, C vs. U (1d)

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:45 am

i really like the #1 and #3 necks. even the #4. it is beefy, but not overly so. very comfortable.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Neither of those would work for me. For my purposes, go thin or go home. That's why I was asking about the thinner options and which feels the thinnest.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Ray Barbee Music wrote:Neither of those would work for me. For my purposes, go thin or go home. That's why I was asking about the thinner options and which feels the thinnest.

i used to think that, but i realized that bigger necks actually sound better, as well as are much more stable.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Bigger necks with cream pickguards sound even better and are even more stable, and especially with a satin finished maple fretboard. 8-)

Maybe off topic, I used to think a neck was the sum of its parts. Then I noticed that the fretboard can feel very different from the neck. For example, a neck can be kind of bulky yet the fretboard can be perfect. I am fortunate that my hands and fingers are large and flexible enough to reap the benefits of many sized necks. The slim necks tend to make my fingers feel cramped after some playing yet I count one slim neck as one of the all-time best I have played.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:14 pm

I realize that's the internet line, but since I own 30+, have owned many more, and work on them as part of my living so I see a whole lot of guitars every year, here's my observations:

I disagree whole heartedly.

To point:

I use 13-62 gauge strings on Fender scale guitars and some Gib scales, on some Gib scales I use 14-66. That's standard pitch, EADGBE. That's a whole lot of tension. I also prefer and tend to only own/play thin necks, although I have owned some larger ones over the years and worked on many larger ones.

I've found NO correlation whatsoever between neck size and tone. None, Nadda, Ziltch, Bupkiss. I have silly thin necks that sound like the voice of God, and I've had thick necks that sound like the voice of Miny Mouse. In fact right now I have a Suhr with a big ish neck, alder body, that sounds thin in comparison with my skinny assed G&L necks and its probably going on the block because of it. I've done these comparisons on dozens of guitars, holding constant for string gauge, action height, pickups, etc., I can tell ya: It just ain't so.

Further, with the strings I use, if skinny necks were "less stable", brother I'd have issues. I don't. I've observed any number of larger necks that just will not straighten out at that tension. I've also seen many large necks that require truss rod adjustments every time you turn around. Again, no correlation at all over dozens and dozens, literally hundreds over the years, of guitars I've owned and guitars I've worked on.

Big necks aren't more stable, and they don't sound better. Every piece of wood is different, some wood sounds markedly better than other wood, but size ain't got nothing to do with it.

I also tell people that read the "internet line" the following all the time when they ask me about that stuff, which is, YOU will sound best on a guitar you are comfortable playing, regardless.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:27 pm

For me, the thinner neck is the thinner neck by measurement: the #1a G&L Slim "C". BTW, the #1d neck is "V" shaped not "U" shaped as you indicate.
The #1d does not feel thin at all to me. The "C" shape is thinner to me than the "U" or "V" shape.

:ugeek:

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:44 am

Ray Barbee Music wrote:I realize that's the internet line, but since I own 30+, have owned many more, and work on them as part of my living so I see a whole lot of guitars every year, here's my observations:

To point:

I use 13-62 gauge strings on Fender scale guitars and some Gib scales, on some Gib scales I use 14-66. That's standard pitch, EADGBE. That's a whole lot of tension. I also prefer and tend to only own/play thin necks, although I have owned some larger ones over the years and worked on many larger ones.

I've found NO correlation whatsoever between neck size and tone. None, Nadda, Ziltch, Bupkiss. I have silly thin necks that sound like the voice of God, and I've had thick necks that sound like the voice of Miny Mouse. In fact right now I have a Suhr with a big ish neck, alder body, that sounds thin in comparison with my skinny assed G&L necks and its probably going on the block because of it. I've done these comparisons on dozens of guitars, holding constant for string gauge, action height, pickups, etc., I can tell ya: It just ain't so.

Further, with the strings I use, if skinny necks were "less stable", brother I'd have issues. I don't. I've observed any number of larger necks that just will not straighten out at that tension. I've also seen many large necks that require truss rod adjustments every time you turn around. Again, no correlation at all over dozens and dozens, literally hundreds over the years, of guitars I've owned and guitars I've worked on.

Big necks aren't more stable, and they don't sound better. Every piece of wood is different, some wood sounds markedly better than other wood, but size ain't got nothing to do with it.

I also tell people that read the "internet line" the following all the time when they ask me about that stuff, which is, YOU will sound best on a guitar you are comfortable playing, regardless.

[youtube]TAryFIuRxmQ[/youtube]

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:27 am

Ray Barbee Music wrote:I realize that's the internet line, but since I own 30+, have owned many more, and work on them as part of my living so I see a whole lot of guitars every year, here's my observations:

To point:

i agree that you sound best on the guitar that is the most comfortable. but i am not getting this as an internet line, it is from experience with hundreds of guitars. a lot of other things go into the equation, but this has held true for me. swapping necks back and forth in the same body, everything else the same. i am not saying there are no exceptions, some big necks are bad sounding or unstable, but in general it seems to be the case.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:57 pm

We can agree to disagree on that one. Just got done giving my Gibson LPPP a workout. The neck measures .87" at the 12th, I hadn't took it out of the case in about 6 months, and it hadn't moved a fraction of a hundredth. Neither had its buddy, another custom shop LP classic. That's with 180lbs of string tension.

Come to think of it, my Ibanez wizard necks do just fine and are rock solid with the same 13.62 strings and 180lbs of tension. And that's with me being, lets say, ungentle, with the Edge trem.

I've seen a few necks that aren't ok with that, but there is no tendency toward whether they are large or small. Some wood just seems not to hold up well, but that's the individual piece of wood.

There is no objective reason to use any guitar neck that is not comfortable for you personally. If that is a big neck, bully for you, if its a small one, don't let any internet 'guru' try to feed you a story and talk you out of it.
Last edited by Ray Barbee Music on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:59 pm

And now back to the original question:

For those who have actually played a 1a or 1b, or 1d, which feels thinnest?

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Ray Barbee Music wrote:And now back to the original question:

For those who have actually played a 1a or 1b, or 1d, which feels thinnest?

I think you would do better by calling/visiting as many G&L dealers near you and try as many of the versions of the #1 neck you can.
When G&L standardized the various neck sizes starting in 2009, the consistency of necks has improved to the point where you should be able to know
what a particular neck will feel like to you. But you really need to try them yourself.

Where are you located? Once we know that then perhaps other members can help you with specific G&L dealers which carry neck sizes you are interested in.

Just my $0.02.

:ugeek:

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:07 pm

I know where the G&L dealers are here in Nashville, they don't carry anything but the larger neck sizes.