Tribute Hardware question

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:03 pm

A dealer claimed in an email to me that Tributes now use the same bridge hardware as USA G&Ls. That certainly wasn't always the case; I think all the ones I've worked on had cheaper hardware with a chrome that wore off easily, and thin, hollow whammy bars that were nothing like the solid metal USA ones that could survive a nuclear attack.

Is this a true claim and if so, when did that start? Thanks!

Re: Tribute Hardware question

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Ray Barbee Music wrote:A dealer claimed in an email to me that Tributes now use the same bridge hardware as USA G&Ls. That certainly wasn't always the case; I think all the ones I've worked on had cheaper hardware with a chrome that wore off easily, and thin, hollow whammy bars that were nothing like the solid metal USA ones that could survive a nuclear attack.

Is this a true claim and if so, when did that start? Thanks!

See these posts: Are the new ASAT Special Bridges made in the USA?
and What is the '05 to '06 Bridge and Trem arm differences?

:ugeek:

Re: Tribute Hardware question

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:03 pm

So it went the other way around? The US models now basically use the thinner Tribute arms with the more prone-to-wear chrome?

Serious bummer.

I love the old trem arms. I use very heavy strings (13-62 EADGBE no detune) and the old bars never gave me an issue, built like a crowbar. Thinner bars tend to bend before the trem moves. Fender bars even bend significantly with a relatively light 11-56 set. Also, I have 20+ year old DFs that show 0 finish wear; I've seen tribs a few years old with a lot less play hours that already have issues. Oh well.