View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 1st generation SC 2 question 

Post 1st generation SC 2 question
I've been looking at a first generation SC 2. Other than cosmetics, how do these differ from the current models? Are they the same scale? Do they have the same frets and fretboard radius? Will they feel and sound the same? Thanks.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:12 am

Post Re: 1st generation SC 2 question
They are the same scale (25.5"). Just about everything else has changed to some extent: machine-wound pickups, body and fingerboard woods (ash and rosewood instead of maple), neck profile and fretboard radius (12" standard on the new ones, 7.5" on the originals). The new ones have body contours, rear-loaded controls and slightly different body size.

I've only played a new one briefly in a store, but it didn't feel very much like my '82. That's not saying they aren't wonderful guitars. They're just different from the original design.

Ken

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:26 pm

sshan25 wrote:
I've been looking at a first generation SC 2. Other than cosmetics, how do these differ from the current models? Are they the same scale? Do they have the same frets and fretboard radius? Will they feel and sound the same? Thanks.

There are many subtle differences between the current SC-2 and the mid-80s SC-2.

First generation SC-2
Body wood
Maple
Body shape
Initially Mustang, later changed to Strat. In both cases, slab body without contours.
Fingerboard
7½" maple
Pickup wire
Enamel coated
Pots
CTS

Current SC-2
Body wood
Alder or Ash depending on finish
Body shape
Mustang with contours, slightly thicker.
Fingerboard
Choice of 12" maple or rosewood. No other neck options available.
Pickup wire
Poly-coated and I think a slightly hotter pups
Pots
Import

How does all of this affect the sound? I am the worn person to answer that because I never played a modern SC-2. All I can say that my Strat-shaped SC-2 is beautifully sounding guitar with very responsive volume and tone controls.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Edit: Oh well, Ken beat me at it again ...

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:39 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks guys. 7.5" radius is a deal breaker for me. Guess l'll have to find a newer one.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:01 pm

this might be a great deal if nobody else bids , it sure is pretty .... I love my new SC 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-SC-2-Fuller ... 317wt_1174

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:32 pm
Site Admin

KenC wrote:
They are the same scale (25.5"). Just about everything else has changed to some extent: machine-wound pickups, body and fingerboard woods (ash and rosewood instead of maple), neck profile and fretboard radius (12" standard on the new ones, 7.5" on the originals). The new ones have body contours, rear-loaded controls and slightly different body size.

I've only played a new one briefly in a store, but it didn't feel very much like my '82. That's not saying they aren't wonderful guitars. They're just different from the original design.

Ken

yowhatsshakin wrote:
sshan25 wrote:

There are many subtle differences between the current SC-2 and the mid-80s SC-2.

First generation SC-2
Body wood
Maple
Body shape
Initially Mustang, later changed to Strat. In both cases, slab body without contours.
Fingerboard
7½" maple
Pickup wire
Enamel coated
Pots
CTS

Current SC-2
Body wood
Alder or Ash depending on finish
Body shape
Mustang with contours, slightly thicker.
Fingerboard
Choice of 12" maple or rosewood. No other neck options available.
Pickup wire
Poly-coated and I think a slightly hotter pups
Pots
Import

How does all of this affect the sound? I am the worn person to answer that because I never played a modern SC-2. All I can say that my Strat-shaped SC-2 is beautifully sounding guitar with very responsive volume and tone controls.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Edit: Oh well, Ken beat me at it again ...

A few more differences not already mentioned:

Original SC-2 frets were the low-wide jumbo frets, while the current SC-2 have medium jumbo frets.

The headstock shapes are different on each.

The original SC-2 had a three bolt with micro-tilt adjustment neck. 4-bolt neck for the current SC-2.

For more information on the early SC-2's see: Vintage SC-2 resources?

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]