ASAT Classic Signature - Leo Fender: Production and Advice

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Does anyone know how many ASAT Classic Signature's were made? (Not the commemorative model.) I am going to look at one tonight. It's early 90's, in great shape with original case. Clear varnish. Maple neck. Also wondering how much I should pay. Thanks.

Re: ASAT Classic Signature - Leo Fender: Production and Advi

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm not sure about the production numbers. I'm sure it wouldn't be a rarebird, though. The signature series were identical to their "regular" counterparts, with the exception of the decal on the body.

An early '90s ASAT Classic Sig in clean condition with OHSC should run around $800-$1000 in my experience. I've seen a few go for a bit less, and many sit around forever at higher prices. Exceptional grain or figuring in the body or neck could add a few dollars to the price. Typically the signature decal puts these about $100 or so higher than an identical guitar without the decal.

I hope this helps.

Ken

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Sorry what is OHSC?

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:00 pm

Lightningpower wrote:Does anyone know how many ASAT Classic Signature's were made? (Not the commemorative model.) I am going to look at one tonight. It's early 90's, in great shape with original case. Clear varnish. Maple neck. Also wondering how much I should pay. Thanks.

While I cannot give you a specific production number, the production dates are 1990-1992. I can also point you to this posts: Leo Signature Series decal
and this info on Greg Gagliano's G&L webpage: ASAT Classic Signature (1990).

BTW, the finishes on these were poly-urethane not varnish.

For value pricing see this post:Zachary Fjestads' Blue Book of Electric Guitars 13th edition.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Lightningpower wrote:Sorry what is OHSC?

OHSC = Original Hard Shell Case (ie, factory supplied case).

:ugeek:

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks a lot.