Anyone help a lady identify this G&L?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Hello everyone :greet: my name is Crystal.

I have randomly stumbled upon this guitar :happy0065:. I wanted to place an ad in the market place but I could not seem to find the correct thumbnail and I did not want to mislead anyone.

After extensive research :searching: I concluded it was a G&L ASAT Special Semi Hollow Butterscotch Blonde. As a friend suggested we took it to a local guitar store just to see what their opinion was and they agreed with my findings without me telling them my opinion. (My friend bet against me so when they said the same thing I won $10 :banana: ).

Like I said I was trying to make an ad in the marketplace but could find no such thumbnail :confused0077: this caused me to doubt my research and I would absolutely hate to attempt to sell the wrong thing.

You fine folks seem to be connoisseurs so I thought the smart thing to do would be to ask here.

I appreciate any and all help.

PS: Sorry for all the smile face things; they amuse me.

Re: Anyone help a lady identify this G&L?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi Crystal (laughing at what a duck stampede would sound like),
those thumbnails aren't a complete representation of all models, I agree it's frustrating placing an ad with a model thumbnail that
isn't quite right, just use the closest you think that works.
Do you know what year (approx.) the ASAT is?

elwood

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Crystal,

It does appear to be an ASAT Special Semi-Hollow. I'm not sure whether butterscotch blonde is the correct name for the finish. Butterscotch tends to be a bit darker than this one looks in the photos. It could be a blonde (if the wood grain is slightly visible) or white (if it's opaque).

If you post the serial number, we can give you a better idea of the production year. The numbers weren't exactly sequential until very recently, but they can be used along with a guitar's features to get an approximate (usually +/- a year or two) date.

Ken

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Welcome Crystal, it would be fun to see the serial number. I suspect very late mid to late 90s as it doesn't have made in the USA on the front of the headstock. I believe the color is vintage white. It doesn't look to be opaque in the picture and if it were a Butterscotch it would most likely have a black pickguard. This pickguard is very common with vintage white. Nice guitar! Why are you selling? -- Darwin

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 pm

First thing's first: a duck stampede would sound awesome. There are a few youtube videos of it but there is a lot of wind/background noise but you can kind of get the gist.

Now to business:

You can see the wood grain through it. It seems darker then the blonde but no as dark as the butterscotch. It is definitely not white, it has a yellow tone to it (in a non smoking house). I included a picture of the color vs a white index card which might help show you my confusion there. Edit: I am going to see if I can get a good picture of it's "opaque-ness".

I honestly have no idea what year it is. It does say CLF 17560. I did find that the CLF mean it was 1997 or after but not much beside that. I am assuming the the CLF 17560 is the serial number so I included that picture too.

I am selling it because it spends all of it's time just hanging on my wall so I hope (if I can get the right price) it will tip my savings account to be able to buy my deployed husband a baby grand piano before he gets home (or at least have all the money ready so he can pick one out himself). He plays acoustic guitars but he has a masters in classical (piano) composition and I have been saving my butt off but BG's are expensive lol. If I can pull this off I think he might be so excited he might pee on himself a little lol.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:40 pm

duckstampede wrote:
After extensive research :searching: I concluded it was a G&L ASAT Special Semi Hollow Butterscotch Blonde. As a friend suggested we took it to a local guitar store just to see what their opinion was and they agreed with my findings without me telling them my opinion. (My friend bet against me so when they said the same thing I won $10 :banana: ).

Like I said I was trying to make an ad in the marketplace but could find no such thumbnail :confused0077: this caused me to doubt my research and I would absolutely hate to attempt to sell the wrong thing.

You fine folks seem to be connoisseurs so I thought the smart thing to do would be to ask here.

You got the Model name correct but the finish is Blonde not Butterscotch Blonde.
The body wood is Swamp Ash. The finish on your's has aged some so it looks a bit yellowed.
BTW, the ASAT Special Semi-Hollow model first came out in 1997.

Here's Butterscotch Blonde:

and here's Blonde:

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image link to Blonde and Butterscotch finish images

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi Crystal.

Based on guitars with close serial numbers in the G&L registry, the guitar appears to be a 2000 model, but may be as late as 2002.

The colour appears to be a lovely blonde that has yellowed gracefully over time. Nearly all white finishes do this and it makes them look more attractive IMO.

Wish I had a baby grand piano to swap for it! :D

Your husband is a lucky dude, but I hope no one is looking when he pees himself.

Edit. Craig just beat me to it.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:13 am

You have all been so helpful.

Thank you do much.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Craig wrote:
duckstampede wrote:

You got the Model name correct but the finish is Blonde not Butterscotch Blonde.
The body wood is Swamp Ash. The finish on your's has aged some so it looks a bit yellowed.
BTW, the ASAT Special Semi-Hollow model first came out in 1997.

Here's Butterscotch Blonde:

and here's Blonde:

Hope this helps.

are you sure it's blonde? it looks more like white or vintage white, and just yellowed over time.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:59 am

louis cyfer wrote:are you sure it's blonde? it looks more like white or vintage white, and just yellowed over time.

That's what I thought at first, but she said the wood grain is visible through the finish.

Ken

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:50 am

KenC wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:are you sure it's blonde? it looks more like white or vintage white, and just yellowed over time.

That's what I thought at first, but she said the wood grain is visible through the finish.

Ken

Yes, I am sure it is Blonde.

And, I just checked with Dave to confirm it:

Hi Craig,

It’s Blonde. Shipped out April 26, 2000 to Todd’s Music in Metairie, LA.

As you noted, the visible grain is the giveaway. Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 am

Whoa.

Craig that is awesome.

I guess I really did come to the right place to ask.

Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 am

Hello to evreyone!
I"ve just saw this guitar in guitar store and like it so much, after that i find this topik by seryal number CLF17560.
please, help me to find out - Am I understand correctly, that this guitar is G&L USA made custom in 2000 and shipped from G&L factory April 26, 2000 to Todd’s Music in Metairie, LA?
or it have much earlyer build year?
The actualy music store price on it is 1500$ - correct or it cost cheaper?
can i found some more information about this guitar by serial number or some else?
p.s. i was write to Crystal about it, but she didn"t ask :roll:
Thank you! :wave:

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:58 am

Anton wrote:Hello to evreyone!
I"ve just saw this guitar in guitar store and like it so much, after that i find this topik by seryal number CLF17560.
please, help me to find out - Am I understand correctly, that this guitar is G&L USA made custom in 2000 and shipped from G&L factory April 26, 2000 to Todd’s Music in Metairie, LA?
or it have much earlyer build year?
The actualy music store price on it is 1500$ - correct or it cost cheaper?
can i found some more information about this guitar by serial number or some else?
p.s. i was write to Crystal about it, but she didn"t ask :roll:
Thank you! :wave:

Hello Anton,

Welcome to our site! :wave:

That ASAT Special Semi-Hollow guitar is registered in our G&L Registry and the current owner listed is the same person
who created this Topic thread. Here is the listing of that entry: Registry listing for CLF17560.

Since you have seen this guitar at another store, I would assume that she sold the guitar and is no longer the owner.
See this post on finding values of used G&L instruments: Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?.

Hope this helps.