Early 80's SB-1 P-bass value

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:06 pm

I have been loving my G&L Comanche for a decade now. I want to switch to bass which I began playing three years ago. I stumbled upon an early 80's SB-1 P-bass for sale for $600.00; metal pickguard, black, maple neck with Fender OHSC. Has paint damage on back, but not gouged. Is that reasonable? Appreciate your guys' help!

Re: Early 80's SB-1 P-bass value

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Aikidoka96 wrote:I have been loving my G&L Comanche for a decade now. I want to switch to bass which I began playing three years ago. I stumbled upon an early 80's SB-1 P-bass for sale for $600.00; metal pickguard, black, maple neck with Fender OHSC. Has paint damage on back, but not gouged. Is that reasonable? Appreciate your guys' help!

That's in the ball park , not cheap, but not outrageous. You might find one cheaper but it would take some searching and patience .
I've seen some with some nice quatersawn neck wood , others can be a little plain jane.
Black with maple is a great combo IMO , especially on an early G&L .

Any pics available? Is there a hardshell case*? you might be able to haggle a bit , but if it fits your playing style, ergonomics I would say that is a fair deal.

*just noticed you mentioned the FMIC case--I'd offer the seller a little less all else being equal. :evilgrin:
(It would be a G&L OHSC or a Fender HSC ...right?)

Re: Early 80's SB-1 P-bass value

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm with Elwood. $600 is right about where you'll find these averaging out. Just like the early SC series guitars, some SBs ended up with gorgeous necks. I have a first-style SB-2 with heavy curl all through the body (under a sunburst finish) and neck.

Ken