Need Help Identifying This Asat Z-3

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm new here, but this looks to be the place to get a little help identifying this G & L. It's marked in the neck as a 2001 and the neck work is also mentioned in the pocket. Has a guy's signature and date there. The fretboard is ebony and is bound. I thought this was a variation of a Will Ray, because it is silver sparkle and has some sort of a B- bender device, but it looks odd to me. Simply put, I'm at a loss and would appreciate any light you guys could shed on what exactly it may be.
Many thanks in advance,
Ray Mauldin

Re: Need Help Identifying This Asat Z-3

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:42 pm

I contacted Dave McLaren at G&L to see if this was factory done. Here's Dave's reply:

Hi Craig,

The bender device is interesting but isn't factory. Here's what I see:

ASAT Z-3 Silver Flake over swamp ash, mirror pickguard, #4 neck with ebony fingerboard, neck binding and tinted gloss finish.

Shipped out January 24, 2001.

Thanks Craig,

Dave

Can you tell us how came to find this guitar?

Thanks for sharing photos of this interesting modded ASAT Z-3. How does it sound and play?

:ugeek:

Re: Need Help Identifying This Asat Z-3

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm

This guitar came out of a pawn shop here in Atlanta. It sounds awesome and the neck is exactly what I would play were I a full- time guitarists. The strings are bright and snappy on the Ebony board and you all know what these pickups sound like. It's the B- bender thing that threw me.
Ray