Help Me Understand!!!

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:37 am

I got this sweet playing beauty as a family gift in the late 90's. I've tried to find similar model/gear posted somewhere but have yet to match closely. The pickups are my main concern - what are they and should I get others for more Gilmore-Clapton distinctive "strat" sound?. I believe they did come standard with the guitar as far as I know the gifter was the original owner and I don't remember any discussion of customization at the time. This guitar has been closet bound for many years in a good solid case, the neck is straight and the action is light and subtle. Almost too subtle as I my main instrument is Jackson Dinky w/EMGHZ pickups. Lately, I have been falling back to my music heritage and again playing more Gilmore and Clapton songs. My fingers tell me this instrument is best suited for those styles of playing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/Z1bsz

Re: Help Me Understand!!!

Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:53 am

JMS21 wrote:I got this sweet playing beauty as a family gift in the late 90's. I've tried to find similar model/gear posted somewhere but have yet to match closely. The pickups are my main concern - what are they and should I get others for more Gilmore-Clapton distinctive "strat" sound?. I believe they did come standard with the guitar as far as I know the gifter was the original owner and I don't remember any discussion of customization at the time. This guitar has been closet bound for many years in a good solid case, the neck is straight and the action is light and subtle. Almost too subtle as I my main instrument is Jackson Dinky w/EMGHZ pickups. Lately, I have been falling back to my music heritage and again playing more Gilmore and Clapton songs. My fingers tell me this instrument is best suited for those styles of playing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/Z1bsz

If the neck and body are stock from the factory, you've got is an S-500 which has had the original MFD single coil pickups swapped out
with what looks like Legacy Special pickups (G&L Dual-Blade in neck and middle position, G&L Power-Blade in bridge position made by Gotoh).

Here's our discripiton of these pickups from the List of pickups used in G&L guitars:

These units are Strat-sized ceramic bar magnet humbuckers made for G&L by Gotoh in Japan. They are noiseless, yet more powerful than
the vintage style alnico single coil pickups. The bridge pickup ("Power Blade" unit) is especially hot and is is excellent for lead guitar. The tone is
distinctly humbuckery, but not as warm or dark as a traditional size Gibson style pickup. The Dual Blade/Power Blade units are bright yet smooth. T
hese are very versatile; a more "vintage" type tone can be obtained by rolling back the bass control.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:24 am

they look like they could be esp rail pickups.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Update, this Guitar is for sale as I have recently had financial issues that need to be addressed. The guitar is in same condition as previous pictures shown. What is a competitive price? ~JMS21

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:36 pm

JMS21 wrote:Update, this Guitar is for sale as I have recently had financial issues that need to be addressed. The guitar is in same condition as previous pictures shown. What is a competitive price? ~JMS21

See this post:Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?.

Please note that we don't allow For Sale and Want Ads posts on the G&LDP.
We have a Marketplace for members to post Ads (See: guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines).

:ugeek: