ASAT Jr. II standard?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:09 pm

When is G&L going to come out with the ASAT Jr. II as a standard model? Please do it G&L! The Korina's are all gone now and this is a killer model. I am waiting to see what colors and wood options would be available should this become a standard model. Seriously G&L, what are you waiting for? Do it, do it, just do it...

Re: ASAT Jr. II standard?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:02 pm

serobnson wrote:When is G&L going to come out with the ASAT Jr. II as a standard model? Please do it G&L! The Korina's are all gone now and this is a killer model. I am waiting to see what colors and wood options would be available should this become a standard model. Seriously G&L, what are you waiting for? Do it, do it, just do it...

I sent your post to Dave McLaren at G&L.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Craig wrote:
serobnson wrote:When is G&L going to come out with the ASAT Jr. II as a standard model? Please do it G&L! The Korina's are all gone now and this is a killer model. I am waiting to see what colors and wood options would be available should this become a standard model. Seriously G&L, what are you waiting for? Do it, do it, just do it...

I sent your post to Dave McLaren at G&L.

Stay tuned.

Dave just got back to me and here is his response:

Forgive me if this is a bit rambling, even contradictory in some ways, but such is the heart. You see, I love the Junior II and the Deluxe II, and I don't want to just throw them on the price list without carefully considering how they should come standard and which options are appropriate. Until now, I haven't come up with solutions I'm comfortable with.

It would be so easy to just treat them like an ASAT Special or any number of ASATs. Just give them an Alder body and Standard finishes and let people option them up from there.

I have a big philosophical problem with that. It's just not faithful to the vision, to the spirit of them. I don't mean to blow this out of proportion; it's not like we're charting new new territory with either of these models. However, I think we've done a particularly good job in the execution and I want these models to remain cohesive, to be fully realized in their tonal and visual objectives. Now, the neck profiles have nothing to do with my concern. It's mostly about the body woods, finishes, the look and sound.

The Korina versions nailed the vision. and I think the Savannah versions do so even more. I'm not saying the Savannah's are better, but the creative effort behind the Savannah versions pushes the envelope further, blending Fullerton and Kalamazoo influences in a particularly innovative way. I am very proud of the resulting instruments as well as the thought that went into them.

I don't like turning away business, but I want them to remain true, at least substantially, to the vision. That said, the vision can be realized in a very affordable version. I can't say any more than that, but I guess everyone will be able to decipher what I mean.

I apologize to those who are waiting for these models to be added to the range. Believe me, I totally understand and I too would like that. I just hope people will understand that until we get that sussed out, we think the right thing to do is bring them back from time to time in forms that do them justice.

Thanks, Craig.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks for the reply Craig. I can understand not wanting to mess with the vision of the ASAT Jr. II. I love the idea of a Korina body, which I imagine makes the ASAT Jr. II what it is meant to be - would love some color options as I am not so into the natural finish thing on my electric guitars.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:28 pm

That said, the vision can be realized in a very affordable version. I can't say any more than that, but I guess everyone will be able to decipher what I mean.

Does that mean Tribute?

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Just saw pics of the Savannah Jr. II. All I have to say is WOW!!!! Beautiful!

If there is a more affordable version of the Jr. II, I am hoping not Tribute...

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:45 pm

serobnson wrote:Just saw pics of the Savannah Jr. II. All I have to say is WOW!!!! Beautiful!

Why? What's wrong with a G&L Tribute?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:01 pm

How about sticking in some of those P90s into the ASAT Special as an option? Just another thought on how to expand the use of the P90 option. I see that they have been offered in Bluesboys instead of the humbucker.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Craig wrote:
serobnson wrote:Just saw pics of the Savannah Jr. II. All I have to say is WOW!!!! Beautiful!

Why? What's wrong with a G&L Tribute?

Update: see Two New ASATs Join G&L's TributeĀ® Series