Saddles for vintage saddle lock bridge

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Hello everyone! I have been looking on ebay for about a year now hoping to pounce on something, but maybe someone here can help me.

Last year I bought an old black G&L SC-2 from a friend, got it really cheap, but it was missing 2 saddles. At one point i tried to get copies of them so i handed one to this guy that said he could replicate it, he disapeared off the face of the planet, so now I am missing 3. Was able to successfully have them somewhat replicated in brass but I would MUCH rather have the complete original set, anyone here that can get me some or all? It is one of the powder coated bridges if that makes any difference. Also if anyone knows this, are the new ones the same? can i just buy a new bridge for the low low price of 90 bucks and put in the saddles or is there a difference? thank you all in advance!

Re: Saddles for vintage saddle lock bridge

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:46 am

hexfactor wrote:Hello everyone! I have been looking on ebay for about a year now hoping to pounce on something, but maybe someone here can help me.

Last year I bought an old black G&L SC-2 from a friend, got it really cheap, but it was missing 2 saddles. At one point i tried to get copies of them so i handed one to this guy that said he could replicate it, he disapeared off the face of the planet, so now I am missing 3. Was able to successfully have them somewhat replicated in brass but I would MUCH rather have the complete original set, anyone here that can get me some or all? It is one of the powder coated bridges if that makes any difference. Also if anyone knows this, are the new ones the same? can i just buy a new bridge for the low low price of 90 bucks and put in the saddles or is there a difference? thank you all in advance!

I contacted Dave at G&L:

By old SC-2 I suppose he means '80s. If so, there are no NOS saddles here. I think his best bet would be to buy the complete bridge from the store. The saddles *may* fit on his old bridge, but if not, he'll have to get the new bridge plate powdercoated to replicate the look of his old bridge.

Back then, there were a factors that make retrofitting saddles a bit dicey. The thickness of the powdercoating varied, meaning there maybe more or less horizontal space for the saddles to fit in. The saddles were die-cast, and if they didn't quite they had a vice-like device that would compress the saddles together, so that when they came out they were all a bit narrower and would fit in the bridge plate.

As a far-shot, there maybe someone on the forum who swapped out the Tribute Saddle Lock bridge including the saddles, which are die-cast, and he could give that a try. Even though they're die-cast, they're of a higher quality than what was done by G&L on the USA instruments years ago, so they may not have much "crushability" if he tries it.

Thanks a lot, Craig.

Dave

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: