Question about 1.75" or 1&3/4" or the #4 neck.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Does G&L #4 neck (1.75" nut width) have a wider headstock than the other nut widths so the strings pull into the tuners "correctly", instead of at a slight angle? I am hoping there is more to that just widening the neck. You would also have to widen the tuning holes.

Re: Question about 1.75" or 1&3/4" or the #4 neck.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 pm

meowmix wrote:Does G&L #4 neck (1.75" nut width) have a wider headstock than the other nut widths so the strings pull into the tuners "correctly", instead of at a slight angle? I am hoping there is more to that just widening the neck. You would also have to widen the tuning holes.

I sent your post to a contact at the factory.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:51 am

Craig wrote:
meowmix wrote:Does G&L #4 neck (1.75" nut width) have a wider headstock than the other nut widths so the strings pull into the tuners "correctly", instead of at a slight angle? I am hoping there is more to that just widening the neck. You would also have to widen the tuning holes.

I sent your post to a contact at the factory.

Stay tuned.

Here's the answer:

Hi Craig,

The answer to this question is yes. Each of our headstock shapes is a little different from the others
in order to accommodate string pull. For some the angle may change, or the tuner spacing, or both.
When we design a new headstock, all these elements are balanced to achieve a headstock that is
visually appealing, comfortable for the player to use, has as straight string pull over the nut as possible,
and still maintains the familiar G&L look.

Spencer Brown
G&L Musical Instruments

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Yes, that did help.

Thanks