Legacy Question...

Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:06 pm

Hey everyone. New here and wanted to check in. I'm an old fart but love guitars. G&L makes some great ones and I've been trying to find a great Legacy. Which is what partially brought me here.

I bought one off Ebay, and I was wondering if someone could look at neck pocket pictures I've taken and tell me if it looks "right".

I was under the impression there would be a date in the pocket and on the neck....but not so. There is a date in the pocket...it says an10 Rec'd (like the "J" got chopped off of "Jan10"). And there is writing on the neck "legacy" and "white" ....

Anyway, I just got it in today and was changing the strings and thought I'd check it all out. Just want to make sure it's real....and also to educate myself a little. The serial # is CLF39262. Pics can be seen:
http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo30 ... 08/Legacy/

Any help/info at all is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Legacy Question...

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:37 pm

Reading this myself, I can see I'm rambling...let me start with this...does anyone have a pic of their neck pocket for comparison? The G&L site says there is a "born date" in every neck pocket....but I have a HARD time believing this guitar is from 2010......

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

It could be 2010...I poked around in the registry...closest number I found was like CLF38XXX and that was confirmed as a 2009.
I don't have pic of mine but yours looks right to me. I think you have the real deal and likely made Jan 2010 as it appears.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:53 pm

Sweet Jazzrat. I appreciate it. I had no reason to believe it NOT to be right, but just wanted to be sure.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:51 pm

geddins wrote:Hey everyone. New here and wanted to check in. I'm an old fart but love guitars. G&L makes some great ones and I've been trying to find a great Legacy. Which is what partially brought me here.

I bought one off Ebay, and I was wondering if someone could look at neck pocket pictures I've taken and tell me if it looks "right".

I was under the impression there would be a date in the pocket and on the neck....but not so. There is a date in the pocket...it says an10 Rec'd (like the "J" got chopped off of "Jan10"). And there is writing on the neck "legacy" and "white" ....

Anyway, I just got it in today and was changing the strings and thought I'd check it all out. Just want to make sure it's real....and also to educate myself a little. The serial # is CLF39262. Pics can be seen:

Thanks!

I doubt that it's a 2010 build date. We have serial numbers in the CLF56xxx range in the G&L Registry.
You can search the Registry for a range of serial numbers, and then look for entries with a complete date. I would not consider any entry which has only the year listed (that usually means the owner put the year it was purchased, and probably did not remove the neck to check the date).

Regarding the stamp in the neck pocket of your Legacy, here is my theory: The month is Jan, the day is 10 and the year
did not get stamped because the stamper was set incorrectly to "Rec'd" instead of the year.

Just my 2 cents.

When you get a chance, please do register your Legacy in the G&L Registry.

Thanks,

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 am

sorry geddins, I'll defer to Craig on this for sure. The entry I found in the Registry was just a year listing so more research is probably needed.
There are some build characteristics like the bi-cut neck that can help narrow it down a little but I am certainly no expert on that either. I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks like Craig will chime in with ideas.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:28 am

no problems on my end Jazzrat. I appreciate ALL input. That's how you learn.

:clap:

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:49 pm

I agree with Craig's assessment of the date code. As far as I know, there was always a 4 digit date code with the month and date info. See the attached pic for a quick demo. No reason to doubt it is a legit G&L. You've got some clues to help. The CLF characters, the block logo on the headstock, and the one thing that might help pinpointing a closer date, is to find out if and when they changed to Sperzels in a non-locking style. I haven't been keeping up with those changes in the past few years. Ask around though. Somebody might recall that happening. In looking at that neck pocket I'm wondering if that is a two piece or three piece body. Most two pieces (at least with trans finishes are joined at the centerline of the body. I don't see a seam in the grain in that neck pocket.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:05 pm

geddins wrote:Hey everyone. New here and wanted to check in. I'm an old fart but love guitars. G&L makes some great ones and I've been trying to find a great Legacy. Which is what partially brought me here.

Thanks!

I looked at your photos again and just noticed the gig case. G&L used gig cases for the Fullerton Standard Series models.
That will narrow down the possible build dates to 2006 - 2008.

Here is what Dave McLaren [aka Darth Invader] posted about the Legacy Standard-Fullerton Standard Series:

"We are trying to make some runs of the same thing,
not like our "normal" production where everything coming
along is different. In short, we did a few things with this:
We made it a solid color so we could use wood that has
some sort of stain or grain such that we can't use it for
translucent colors (as almost all of our production is),
we substituted what I call a "gig case" for the plastic molded
one which saves a few bucks (but holds up better than the
molded - go figure), and we substituted zinc diecast saddles
for the brass ones. Most of them actually had the brass
saddles anyway, as yours probably does. It's basically a sweet
deal on a Legacy.
"

They also included a matching headstock, which is usually an
upcharge option. Also, all of the Fullerton Standard Series models
had their necks Pleked. The Plek machine was added to the production
process in 2006.

I believe that your Legacy is one of the Legacy Standard - Fullerton Standard models.

Hope this helps.