Hanging Guitars...

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:42 am

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum but I joined because I thought that you all would have some insight on this. I have a pretty limited practice space in my home and I have given up on one guitar stand and multiple cases leaning up against whatever furniture happens to be handy.

I have a L-5500 5-string and a new 2012 Special Collection S-500. Outside of the obvious concerns about them falling off the wall, any concerns about hanging any G&L guitars for extended period of time? Will this effect the trueness of the neck? I don't think so but I thought that I'd turn to the community for thoughts.

The guy at Guitar Center recommended this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hercules-Stands-GSP38WB-Wood-Wallmount-Guitar-Hanger-102460516-i1142262.gc

Anyone used these Hercules wall mounts before?

Thanks,

Jay

Re: Hanging Guitars...

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 pm

nothing wrong with hanging guitars. i have used the hercules and prefer this one over by a mile.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Off-the-Wal ... 2432573.gc

Wall Hanging

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:40 pm

Someone asked a question about hanging guitars on the wall recently. I have done a search and for the life of me cannot find it. They were wondering if it would hurt the guitar over a period of time. I didn't have time to respond.

I have about 30 guitars hanging on the wall, some of them for about 5 years. I use Fretrest hangers but I don't think the brand is that important as long as you are using good ones. I truly believe that hanging is the best way to preserve them. The weight of the guitar will help reduce string pressure from the neck and I believe it helps reduce neck bowing over time on some guitars. Others seem to never need neck adjusting. I have no proof that this is true but I will say that I have had no damage, they are great to look at all the time and with a humidified room they are quite stable. Additionally, they are very handy to get to. I say go for it! Wish I could make those same statements about myself.-- Darwin

Re: Wall Hanging

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 pm

darwinohm wrote:Someone asked a question about hanging guitars on the wall recently. I have done a search and for the life of me cannot find it.

I merged your post with the one you couldn't find.

:ugeek:

Re: Hanging Guitars...

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 pm

There's nothing wrong with, as long you choose a wall, which isn't an exterior one, especially if in that region it's cold in winter time. In this case, there could be some moisture between wall and guitar, except there's a good distance between them.
Never hang your instruments above heating sources, as the air will be very dry above such devices.