G&L Rampage XTrem problems/differences from 7300k

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi everyone, I purchased a Tribute Rampage last month and I love the way it plays. However, the X-Trem refuses to return in tune. If I push down, it stays flat until I pull up, when I pull back it goes flat until I tap the trem arm down. I took it to a private G&L service center here in Phoenix named Bronson Guitar Works where I am friends with the owner. He has been setting up guitars for over 30 years with all sorts of upgraded tremolos, his fix for my problem is "buy a Floyd" since we are officially stumped. He replaced the springs, "lubricated" the cam, has tried all sorts of strings and saddle configurations but nothing seems to work. I saw that there is another member that had a similar problem but I didn't see a response to this part of his question. I use the GHS 9's on the guitar because the Dunlop 9's I like were detuning even more when I trem. When I get it worked on, it holds for about 10 minutes of playing but then goes right back to the sharp/flat problem.
The music store said this one came from the "representative" from G&L because the had to order it for me and it was the easiest to get. It did it when I bought the guitar and the owner told me it was common and all it needed was a setup. Well, 5 setups later... you get the point. My friends at Bronson Guitar Works called Kahler and G&L with no luck in finding a solution or anyone who could answer questions about the xTrem.
I don't know whether to make myself crazy over it and just block the trem *Kahler was one reason for getting it* or if I should upgrade. I know that Floyd people insist I rout the thing but that isn't something I want to do, I like the way the XTrem feels and I want to use a Kahler and preferably the one that came on the guitar. Is this xTrem the equivalent to a licensed Floyd Rose? I just did a JB pickup in it and I am wiling to buy a new trem if this is a common unfixable problem. I want to know if I should get the affordable 7300K Kahler or go all out on the 2320. They both look the same as my xTrem and will fit in the hole nicely. The problem for me is the USA model Rampage has a 2320 so does that mean that the 7300K is made overseas and not made to high spec like the 2320? I know there are tons of parts to make the 7300 almost identical to the 2320 as far as brass and teflon rollers and cams. If those really are the differencese is it worth my time and trouble to attempt to fix the xTrem or should I spring for the 7300K OR the 2320?

Re: G&L Rampage XTrem problems/differences from 7300k

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm not a big vibrato user and haven't played a Tribute yet, but both of my Kahler 2320s still work great after 26 years...

Ken

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:53 pm

See this post.
Here is the Kahler website link (http://www.wammiworld.com).

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the 7300k. Maybe an American version will fix this issue. I will continue to look for answers though, the main reason is because I think the shop I bought it from changed out parts on it before selling it to me. For instance, the trem arm is wrong, and the answer was "it was a reps guitar." But they charged me retail because I was naive and couldn't find a Rampage anywhere else except online. The other thing is the pickup looked like it had been changed to a G&B random pickup(it might be the original but I can't find info online except for it bei g a JC custom wound). I'll post and let you guys know what I find out about this guitar and if it was messed with before sale.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Zryhmer wrote:Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the 7300k. Maybe an American version will fix this issue. I will continue to look for answers though, the main reason is because I think the shop I bought it from changed out parts on it before selling it to me. For instance, the trem arm is wrong, and the answer was "it was a reps guitar." But they charged me retail because I was naive and couldn't find a Rampage anywhere else except online. The other thing is the pickup looked like it had been changed to a G&B random pickup(it might be the original but I can't find info online except for it bei g a JC custom wound). I'll post and let you guys know what I find out about this guitar and if it was messed with before sale.

Your guitar is covered under warranty, so I'd like to suggest you hold off on doing any mods just yet. I will contact Dave McLaren sbout your post. If anyone can resolve this, it would be Dave. Given that Christmas is just two days away, he will not likely see my email until later this week. While I cannot promise anything, I am sure Dave will make it worth the wait.

Please stay tuned.

:ugeek: