ASAT (What does it mean, stand for or represent?)

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:40 pm

What does it mean, stand for or represent .

How many times has this been asked??? LOL

Thanks.

Delta

:shocked028:

Re: ASAT

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:18 am

According to George Fullerton, ASAT is the name used in the day for Anti-SATellite weapons. G&L was using very similar kind of names, e.g. Invader. So in the end, ASAT is just a name and not so much an acronym as far as the guitar is concerned. And how many times has this been asked? Many, many, many, many, ..., etc., times. ;)

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 pm

OK, now for some semi-related trivia...

George Fullerton explained that "ASAT just fit into our use of military names". Having been in the U.S. military for most of the Leo-era years, the only name that I recognize from military hardware was Skyhawk (an attack plane the Navy and Marines used in the early 80s, which flew from bases near Fullerton). I guess Interceptor might count, as being a class of military aircraft, and Invader has kind of a military ring.

Does anybody know of others I'm missing?

Ken

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:18 pm

KenC wrote:OK, now for some semi-related trivia...

George Fullerton explained that "ASAT just fit into our use of military names". Having been in the U.S. military for most of the Leo-era years, the only name that I recognize from military hardware was Skyhawk (an attack plane the Navy and Marines used in the early 80s, which flew from bases near Fullerton). I guess Interceptor might count, as being a class of military aircraft, and Invader has kind of a military ring.

Ken

sure. the comanche, they just got the tribe wrong, supposed to be apache. :mrgreen: the f100 was supposed to be f14, again just a small mistake. sc was for stealth combat and the s500 was named after the sherman m series, but since it was half as powerful they called it SD or s500 instead of SM or s1000. :cute467:

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:41 am

louis cyfer wrote:sure. the comanche, they just got the tribe wrong, supposed to be apache. :mrgreen: the f100 was supposed to be f14, again just a small mistake. sc was for stealth combat and the s500 was named after the sherman m series, but since it was half as powerful they called it SD or s500 instead of SM or s1000. :cute467:

Great! :thumbup:
Now I finally know. :mrgreen:

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 pm

Well, the F-100 is an honest to god military designation for one of the planes in the Century Series, the F-100 Super Sabre. For me, the most known of that series is the F-104 Starfighter because those were buzzing my head when I was a kid in the Netherlands.

- Jos

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Delta Dreg wrote:What does it mean, stand for or represent .

How many times has this been asked??? LOL

Thanks.

Delta

:shocked028:

We do answer this question in General G&L Questions.
Here's the post: What does "ASAT" stand for?

:ugeek:

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:53 pm

KenC wrote:OK, now for some semi-related trivia...

Ken

Yes, just check Production List of G&L Instruments (USA) for years 1980-1988.
I believe the exceptions during that time frame are: G-200, SC/SB series, HG series,
L-# basses and Broadcaster. Just google the individual names and you should find
some US military reference for them.

Hope this helps.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:54 pm

louis cyfer wrote:sure. the comanche, they just got the tribe wrong, supposed to be apache. :mrgreen: the f100 was supposed to be f14, again just a small mistake. sc was for stealth combat and the s500 was named after the sherman m series, but since it was half as powerful they called it SD or s500 instead of SM or s1000. :cute467:

:silent:

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:40 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Well, the F-100 is an honest to god military designation for one of the planes in the Century Series, the F-100 Super Sabre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... uper_Sabre

Wow, that's pretty cool, didn't know that. And it makes sense: When G&L was founded, the Music Man Sabre became slightly changed the G&L F-100.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Well, the F-100 is an honest to god military designation for one of the planes in the Century Series, the F-100 Super Sabre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... uper_Sabre

Wow, that's pretty cool, didn't know that. And it makes sense: When G&L was founded, the Music Man Sabre became slightly changed the G&L F-100.

Funny. That's exactly the theory I put forward on my website ;) After all, there is an F-86 Sabre jet, the precursor to the F-100, so they could have called the guitar F-86. But to indicate that G&L's first model is a better version of the Sabre, i.e. a Super Sabre, and to avoid copyright issues, you would be smart to use F-100.

- Jos

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Well that was already said and done...

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Well that was already said and done...

Which post are you referring to? :confused0007:

Re: ASAT (What does it mean, stand for or represent?)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:26 am

I heard it stood for "after stratocaster after telecaster"

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:05 am

eminence_front wrote:I heard it stood for "after stratocaster after telecaster"

As did many. It is hard to convince people it is not the case. And that is how misconceptions persist ...

It would not really make a lot of sense to refer to the Strat in the name of a guitar looking more like a Tele, would it?

- Jos

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 am

Personally, I just thought it was weird to say After Strat After Tele, when from a timeline perspective it should be After Telecaster After Stratocaster. I guess "ATAS" didn't look as cool on the decal :P

In any case, there are plenty of times in history when urban legend has become de-facto provenance for one thing or another. It's like a big guitar fish story. In any case, no matter which version you decide to retell, I doubt you're effectively tainting the Instruments history.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:36 pm

For a little lesser known trivia, when the cease and desist order came to the factory because of the use of the Broadcaster name, a new name was needed. Immediately several names were thrown out there but there wasn't much luck because it was already in use or it just sounded lousy. The deal in the shop was that a Broadcaster would be given to whoever came up with the new name for the guitar because every time a new name was checked out for copyright, it cost a few hundred bucks. From the beginning the ASAT name was the frontrunner and there are those that say it was Dale's idea and others that say it was Richard Smith's. I don't know for sure but they worked out a deal to stop using the name when the stickers (1000) ran out so time was ticking away and a new name had to be decided so that there weren't any "Nocasters". Obviously, not all the stickers were used because the production numbers show about 869 before the name change took place.
Maybe that will win you a beer in a trivia contest some day, but I doubt it :lol:
Fred

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Fred Finisher wrote:For a little lesser known trivia, ...
Fred

I love soaking up those tidbits ! ...priceless for us fanatics :D .

thanks Fred
elwood

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Right there with ya Elwood.

I'm still a relatively young man, and naive enough still that I actually believe I'll be of presence of mind to hand this stuff down to my 3 kids,.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:43 am

To corroborate Fred's story, here some e references to Greg Gagliano's site (know as GG Jaguar here) on the name change and revealing (some of) the other candidates:
http://www.ggjaguar.com/broad.htm
http://www.ggjaguar.com/lecaster.htm

- Jos

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:06 pm

You're welcome guys,
I forgot about the LeCaster. That one doesn't really roll off the tongue very well. They were also trying to do something with "line" in it, like the Tele Thinline, but those names sounded pretty lame.
Jos, the first post has the finish as polyurethane but it is only a poly base. The color and topcoats were nitro, at least through '85.
One more name related tidbit for those of you that like this stuff. One of the names being considered for the Interceptor was Dragoon. That is another weapon name but it sounded pretty stupid then and it still does IMO.
Fred

Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:06 am

Fred Finisher wrote:You're welcome guys,
I forgot about the LeCaster. That one doesn't really roll off the tongue very well. They were also trying to do something with "line" in it, like the Tele Thinline, but those names sounded pretty lame.
Jos, the first post has the finish as polyurethane but it is only a poly base. The color and topcoats were nitro, at least through '85.
One more name related tidbit for those of you that like this stuff. One of the names being considered for the Interceptor was Dragoon. That is another weapon name but it sounded pretty stupid then and it still does IMO.
Fred

Hey Fred, maybe you'll remember this one-off from the late eighties affectionately nicknamed the Dragon bass. The name seems to work on this one.
Thats Lowell Shyette ( One of Dales sales reps at the time) holding it.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:49 am

Whoa Larry,
I've been thinking about the Dragon bass the last couple days,
Perusing the gallery I was thinking it needs some more 'one-offs', proto's , etc.
..and this pic has been in my head since;

Are there any close-ups of that beast ?

That would be one hell of a re-issue (hint,hint)

elwood