Headstock discolouration

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:26 am

Hi all,

I have recently become the owner of USA built legacy, but noticed that there is some slight discolouration around the tuning pegs on the headstock (front & back). It gives the finish a slight yellow tint, I have tried searching but without much success (wrong key words?) but does anyone know what the cause of this is and if it is common among G&L instruments?

TIA.

Re: Headstock discolouration

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:27 am

Sorry, I meant to add the legacy is around 3 years old and is great condition, not been exposed to large amounts of sunlight.

I will try to post pics later of the headstock.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:12 am

If it's just around the tuners? that doesn't make since? natural tinting would be on the entire headstock/ neck and body?
I've never encountered such a thing? could it have gotten some kind of water damage? are the tuners original? could be a reaction to the
metal but I don't think so?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:34 pm

The pictures don't show up the tint to well, I will try to add some more later.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:29 pm

thorbys wrote:The pictures don't show up the tint to well, I will try to add some more later.

Send me some additional pics (craig at guitarsbyleo.com) and I will forward them to the Steve and Chris for their evaluation on what it might be.
Also include the serial number and which dealer you got it from (if bought new).

:ugeek:

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks Craig,

I appreciate your help on this. The serial number is CLF57669, I am the second owner of the guitar but could find out about the original dealer if needed. I tried different angles/light to get the tint/stain to show up, the best of which is below. I will also forward this on.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Well, there is always the possibility of slightly sloppy workmanship. In this case the nozzle could have been contaminated with the toner used to create a tinted finish which would cause a slight discoloration towards the yellow on the first swipe which might have been around the pegs.

Just throwing it out there.

- Jos

Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:23 am

It also kinda looks as tho someone tried to clean the natural aging off with maybe bleach? or something but did not remove the strings,
so only part of it was cleaned?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:23 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Well, there is always the possibility of slightly sloppy workmanship. In this case the nozzle could have been contaminated with the toner used to create a tinted finish which would cause a slight discoloration towards the yellow on the first swipe which might have been around the pegs.

- Jos

I would have thought G&L quality control would have picked up on it before leaving the factory. Anythings possible though.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm

huck wrote:It also kinda looks as tho someone tried to clean the natural aging off with maybe bleach? or something but did not remove the strings,

The rest of the neck looks like it is quite a pale almost satin like finish on the neck like it came from the factory that way. It is odd that it occurs only around the tunning peg area's on the headstock though. I'm curious and slightly concerned that it might be a second or a re-action to a chemical.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:20 pm

thorbys wrote:
huck wrote:It also kinda looks as tho someone tried to clean the natural aging off with maybe bleach? or something but did not remove the strings,

The rest of the neck looks like it is quite a pale almost satin like finish on the neck like it came from the factory that way. It is odd that it occurs only around the tunning peg area's on the headstock though. I'm curious and slightly concerned that it might be a second or a re-action to a chemical.

It is a satin finished neck. Have you tried a damp cloth to see if it is on the outer surface of the headstock? (just want to
eliminate the possibility of some thing on the outside of the finish).

It's kinda hard to tell if it might be leaching from the wood but I will send the photos you sent me to the factory and
see what they make of it. Oh, and G&L does not sell seconds.

thorbys wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Well, there is always the possibility of slightly sloppy workmanship. In this case the nozzle could have been contaminated with the toner used to create a tinted finish which would cause a slight discoloration towards the yellow on the first swipe which might have been around the pegs.

- Jos

I would have thought G&L quality control would have picked up on it before leaving the factory. Anythings possible though.

If it was contamination during the finishing of the neck, it certainly would have been seen by those working
with the neck (buffing, assembly of tuners, final assembly of guitar, and final inspection) and it would not
have left the factory in that condition. It would have been rejected.

Let's see what Steve and or Chris say about this.

Stay tuned.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:42 am

To answer Craig's question, I have tried a soft damp cloth over the headstock but whatever it is isn't being lifted by that.

Thanks once again for all your help and it will be interesting to hear the guys/gals thoughts from G&L.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:31 am

thorbys wrote:To answer Craig's question, I have tried a soft damp cloth over the headstock but whatever it is isn't being lifted by that.

Thanks once again for all your help and it will be interesting to hear the guys/gals thoughts from G&L.

I've sent the photos to Steve and Chris and will post their reply.

Stay tuned.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Craig wrote:
thorbys wrote:To answer Craig's question, I have tried a soft damp cloth over the headstock but whatever it is isn't being lifted by that.

I've sent the photos to Steve and Chris and will post their reply.

Stay tuned.

I heard back from Chris and Steve:

Hey Craig,
It does not show to be a second, it shipped out to GRAPEVINE GUITAR WORKS in Texas Feb of 2010
It could possibly be from something that was applied to it ? it's hard to say from the pic, maybe Steve will have some further insight

Thanks,
CR

Hi Craig,

In looking at the photo I would guess these may have been some "touch up" work done to the headstock finish and there is a little more of the neck finish on this area and that's what has created the discoloration. I am pretty sure there is nothing to be concerned with in terms of the wood, structural integrity of the neck/headstock or that this discoloration will get worse or spread over more of the neck.

I hope this helps

Thanks

Steve

I asked Steve if he thought the touch-up was done at the factory or by someone outside of the factory.
His reply was:

I think this was something we touched up and as the finished aged this bit of yellowing appeared. It's unusual for this to happen, but I have seen this when using the clear satin. Any of the tinted finishes might have the same issue, but due to the darker color, it's never noticeable

Thanks

Steve

Hope this helps.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Glad it doesn't appear to be a major issue with the guitar

Many thanks for all your help, in particular to Craig. Please pass on my thanks and appreciation to the guys @ G&L.

S.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:27 pm

For what's it's worth, I've had maybe half a dozen guitars over the years with the same discoloration, even a few G&L's. It's never been a problem on any of them. I personally think it adds personality.

My 2¢