Hard Shell Case Options for Tribute Comanche

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:22 pm

I just picked up a 2009 Tribute Comanche that came shipped with a G&L Gig Bag.

I test fitted it in one of my Gator GC-Elec-A Hard Shell Cases (I use this case for all my Tele-style guitars), but the tip of the headstock is right up against the front of the case, and the strap buttons are pushing hard into the body compartment walls.

Apart from the G&L cases, what other hard shell cases are you guys using for your Strat-style G&L guitars. I prefer the extruded vinyl or ABS cases over the covered wood cases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Hard Shell Case Options for Tribute Comanche

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 pm

FenderGuy,

Congrats on the Comanche. All of my G&Ls are older USA models, but I've had the same problem finding cases that fit the long headstocks. The best one I've found so far is an SKB-66. You can find them online for just over $100. I've used my SKB-66 for two different Leo-era ASATs, which are about 3/4" too long in the headstock for typical Fender-style cases. The SKB-66 almost fits like it was made for the ASATs.

I also use a Roadrunner (Guitar Center's brand) ABS case for my S-500. This is another instrument that's less than an inch too long for a current Fender-style case. Unfortunately I don't know the model number for this case, as I found it used about two years ago. All of the other Roadrunners I've tried have either been unacceptably flimsy or too short for my G&Ls.

I hope this helps!

Ken

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:51 am

i use wolfpak cases, which are hard cases with a cordura outer shell and back straps. they are lighter and stronger than any other hardshell case i have tried. i prefer it to both my skb and g&l cases. it's long enough for my asat.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 am

louis cyfer wrote:i use wolfpak cases, which are hard cases with a cordura outer shell and back straps. they are lighter and stronger than any other hardshell case i have tried. i prefer it to both my skb and g&l cases. it's long enough for my asat.

Is it this one, that sells for $79.99 @ MF:

It's long enough for my ASAT, but will it would fit my Comanche? The case is 39 inches long.

Also, are those straps removeable?
Last edited by FenderGuy53 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:13 am

FenderGuy53 wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:i use wolfpak cases, which are hard cases with a cordura outer shell and back straps. they are lighter and stronger than any other hardshell case i have tried. i prefer it to both my skb and g&l cases. it's long enough for my asat.

It's long enough for my ASAT, but will it would fit my Comanche? The case is 39 inches long.
yeah, it's that one. take the guitar down to gc, they have them there, try it.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:16 am

louis cyfer wrote:
FenderGuy53 wrote:

yeah, it's that one. take the guitar down to gc, they have them there, try it.

GC has them? Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks.