Birds Eye Maple - Why the short warranty?

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:18 am

I have the opportunity to buy a used Comanche with a Birds Eye Maple neck. I'm new to this game, but the G&L site has me a bit worried about the durability of these necks. Can you shed some light a to the reasoning for the 90-day warranty and what do I need to watch out for when looking at them?

Re: Birds Eye Maple - Why the short warranty?

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:27 am

BrewinBombers wrote:I have the opportunity to buy a used Comanche with a Birds Eye Maple neck. I'm new to this game, but the G&L site has me a bit worried about the durability of these necks. Can you shed some light a to the reasoning for the 90-day warranty and what do I need to watch out for when looking at them?

See this post: Birdseye neck warranty.

I personally have several BEM necked G&L's and have never had any issues with them.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Wow, I searched for Birds Eye, Bird Eye and even just Bird to try and find this answer on my own. Sorry for the A&A question.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:02 pm

as that thread explained, you have good reason to worry, but if you just play at home, you should be fine.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Wow I had no idea of this! Its a shame for they are real nice looking!
No worries here,dont have any! Dont think I ever will now!

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:20 pm

FWIW, both of my BBE-era G&Ls have BEM necks. They are from '98 and '00, and neither has developed any problems. I even bumped the string gauge up to 12s on the ASAT Classic for a brief while. I could tell it didn't like the extra tension, but everything was fine after I went back down to 10s.

I would not hesitate to buy another used instrument with a BEM neck. I figure any serious problems would already have started showing after a couple of years.

Ken