How to safely remove Sharpie autograph

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello, I just bought a USA ASAT CLASSIC. It was autographed using a sharpie. How can I safely remove the autograph without damaging the finish? It has a sunburst finish. tHANKS!

Re: How to safely remove Sharpie autograph

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks a bunch Tim!

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote: If you've a qualified luthier, he should be able to remove it.

Unless it was the ASAT Classic Signature model that just sold from Guitar Center on Saturday...

Ken

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:45 am

OK... I have to ask,who signed it?
Curiosity killing this cat!
Steve

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:03 am

I wanted to guess that it was signed by Mel Tillis. An ASAT Classic signed by him recently sold on daBay. But that was a Blonde if I recall correctly. So as far as KenC's warning +1. And curious as well.

- Jos

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:I wanted to guess that it was signed by Mel Tillis. An ASAT Classic signed by him recently sold on daBay. But that was a Blonde if I recall correctly. So as far as KenC's warning +1. And curious as well.

- Jos

it was not sold yet at the time this was posted.

sorry i was looking at the asat with his signature. if that is the one, it is still not sold.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:34 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:I wanted to guess that it was signed by Mel Tillis. An ASAT Classic signed by him recently sold on daBay. But that was a Blonde if I recall correctly. So as far as KenC's warning +1. And curious as well.

- Jos

it was not sold yet at the time this was posted.

sorry i was looking at the asat with his signature. if that is the one, it is still not sold.

Thanks for the update louis. I watched that ASAT for a while and apparently didn't keep it around in my watch list. So i assumed that I had removed it because it was sold. Incorrectly so :oops:

- Jos

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:19 am

It was signed by John Jorgenson of The Hellecasters fame.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:51 pm

coolbluesman06 wrote:It was signed by John Jorgenson of The Hellecasters fame.

IF it was my guitar, I would leave the signature as it is. John J. is one of my guitar heroes. ;)

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Lefty wrote:
coolbluesman06 wrote:It was signed by John Jorgenson of The Hellecasters fame.

IF it was my guitar, I would leave the signature as it is. John J. is one of my guitar heroes. ;)

+1 with leaving alone~!

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:48 pm

My position is this. I don't like ink on my women OR my guitars. It takes away from the natural beauty of both, which IMHO, you can't improve upon. The history of the signature is this. I bought the guitar from a producer in Nashville. His name is Kenny Holloway. Kenny was producing an album for an up and coming country artist, Craig Sellers. This was 1995. Kenny got John to play guitar on the album. Kenny asked John to sign the ASAT, which had been hanging on the wall in the studio, and it hung there until I bought it last week. It looks BETTER than a new guitar hanging on the wall at a music store. Light scratches on the pick guard are the only evidence that the guitar had ever been played. And I stole it from him for $700 !! So, that's the story..

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:06 pm

coolbluesman06 wrote:My position is this. I don't like ink on my women OR my guitars. It takes away from the natural beauty of both, which IMHO, you can't improve upon. The history of the signature is this. I bought the guitar from a producer in Nashville. His name is Kenny Holloway. Kenny was producing an album for an up and coming country artist, Craig Sellers. This was 1995. Kenny got John to play guitar on the album. Kenny asked John to sign the ASAT, which had been hanging on the wall in the studio, and it hung there until I bought it last week. It looks BETTER than a new guitar hanging on the wall at a music store. Light scratches on the pick guard are the only evidence that the guitar had ever been played. And I stole it from him for $700 !! So, that's the story..
i agree with that. anything but the leo fender signature that was part of the guitars design should come off. a buffing wheel with a polishing compound will do the trick no problem.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 am

I have two guitars I am selling for a friend. One is a Fender 62 AVRI signed by Steve Miller. It comes with a cert that confirms his autograph. The other is a Fender standard(Mexico)left hand Strat signed by Dick Dale and his son Jimmy. It HAD "To Baxter" on it, then the autographs. I used a alcohol wipe to remove the "To Baxter" part. It did NO damage to the fender finish, and you can't tell what was removed was ever there. I rubbed as lightly as I could in a circular motion.

Hope this helps,

Scott

P.S. I still have the guitars if anyone wants to make an offer, PM me. :whome: