What do I have??

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 am

Hey new friends,

About 10 years ago I purchased my guitar mentors G&L from him as he was focusing on starting his mandolin business (which is now thriving). I've played this guitar and have loved it, but decided to get some more information about it. I've searched for G&L ASAT signature guitars, but none look like this one. Specifically, the signature is usually on the body or in a different place on the headstock. Can one of you folks help me figure out the year and value?

HeadStock
Serial
Body

I know that I played in a band with him in the early 90's, and it was relatively new then. It is in good shape with little marks and has OHSC. Any details is greatly appreciated!!

Best
Jay

Re: What do I have??

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am

Welcome,
Beeeautiful ASAT Special you have...they really had some nice woods on some of those (like yours).

By the serial number I would say it was an '88 or '89...you would have to check the date in the neck pocket and on the neck heel to know for sure.
The decals were all over the place (well not really, but a there didn't seem to be strict steadfast rules that dictacted decal placement . Your guitar is just as much a Mojo machine as one with a leo sig . decal on the body.

cheers
Elwood

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi Jay,

Given the position of the string tree it is a post-'88 ASAT. And given the presence of the 'by Leo Fender' decal it was made prior to give and take mid-'92. So I would say that a '89 as postulated by Elwood would be a fair estimate. But you could now for sure is you would take off the neck and inspect the date stamps in neck pocket and/or neck heel.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks Fellas,

It is in need of a good cleaning, so may take it apart this weekend and get some details about the date. Any thoughts on how much it's worth or where (Seattle) I can get it appraised?

I think I paid $350 for it, so hoping it's maintained that value. Oh, and not looking to sell, just want to insure it for the right amount.

Best!
Jay

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:07 pm

That's a seriously gorgeous body!

I'll go with very late '88 or sometime in '89. In addition to the changes in decals, the string trees moved around a little bit. My '88 ASAT (September neck date) still had the plastic string tree up by the D tuner. They moved down to the E tuner right around then or shortly afterward.

It's definitely maintained value. Personally, I would peg it close to $1K with that flamed body and sunburst finish.

Ken

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks KenC, I've been working out and eating right, so I appreciate the gorgeous body comment....oh wait, you mean my guitar... :lol:

I'm thinking it is a 89 at this point, which is a bit older than I had thought. I should know more soon.

I did just find this on eBay, which looks really close http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1989-G-L-ASAT-THREE-TONED-SUNBURST-/150863616680?pt=Guitar&hash=item23202c1aa8#ht_500wt_1413. I know mine isn't worth $1800 as we all know how eBay is very inflated, but nice to know it's still worth something!

Thanks again
J

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:57 pm

jkard883 wrote:Thanks KenC, I've been working out and eating right, so I appreciate the gorgeous body comment....oh wait, you mean my guitar... :lol:

I'm thinking it is a 89 at this point, which is a bit older than I had thought. I should know more soon.

I did just find this on eBay, which looks really close http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1989-G-L-ASAT-THREE-TONED-SUNBURST-/150863616680?pt=Guitar&hash=item23202c1aa8#ht_500wt_1413. I know mine isn't worth $1800 as we all know how eBay is very inflated, but nice to know it's still worth something!

Thanks again
J

you know he is lying when he says his is the only one made like that. definitely an inflated sense of value.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Looks like a maple body--and a nice one at that.

A maple bodied, 3 bolt neck, Leo era ASAT is very desirable among many here.

I don't know exactly what it is worth but you may be surprised--it's got to be worth at least twice what you paid for it--someone else here can give you a better idea.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 pm

you know he is lying when he says his is the only one made like that. definitely an inflated sense of value.

Yes, one of the reasons eBay has ruined the world of vintage instruments. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth anything, and just because it says "Fender", "Gibson" etc doesn't mean it's worth a mint.

I was more surprised that the day I start looking for real info on this guitar, I find an exact model on eBay. I at first saw the $350 price and thought, "Oh, well I guess it's not worth anything anymore", then I saw the "Buy It Now" price and laughed!

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:29 pm

jkard883 wrote:Thanks Fellas,

It is in need of a good cleaning, so may take it apart this weekend and get some details about the date. Any thoughts on how much it's worth or where (Seattle) I can get it appraised?

Jay, your investment has done well. I could see that going for 850 or more on a good day.

Great to hear another Seattleite is on board. Have you been to "TheGuitarStore" on aurora ? They carry G&L's
and the owner has joined the forum recently. I haven't been there and don't know if they have someone who could
do your ASAT right...but it might be worth a visit to check it out.

( Don't go to Guitarville whatever you do, not a good business !!)

someday we'll have a NW G&L Jam...the more the merrier !!

Elwood

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Elwood wrote: Have you been to "TheGuitarStore" on aurora ?

I haven't been to the store, but saw their booth at the recent Vintage show on the Eastside. They seemed nice enough and were very eager to help (although they spam Seattle Craigslist with ads to the point it gets annoying). I'm not a fan of Emerald City or Guitarville where they apparently feel their guitars are made of pure gold and price them as such.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:10 am

Have you checked out Tommy's Guitar Shop in Everett?

Lots of G&Ls and some cool vintage amps to try them out on.