Comanche Question

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:13 pm

I purchased and are awaiting shipment of a Comanche - color blueburst from a seller on eBay and can't wait to join the G&L Fraternity, such that it is.

My question is: How do I know for certain that the guitar is NOT a tribute series. It was advertised as not a tribute and made in the USA. Other than saying made in the USA is there another way to know for sure?

Does the color of the headstock have any significance? This one is unfinished.

Any tips from another Comanche user?

I have only seen the Comanche once when I played it in the local Guitar Center and after playing the Comanche and then many of the other top guitars in the store, I realized that the Comanche blew the others away. The problem was that it sold so quickly that I missed out.

Any info would be appreciated. If it is already available in this forum can you point me in the right direction?

Re: Comanche Question

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:45 pm

Welcome Kappy,
Here's a start :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18

Is it this one? If so ...no worries , CLF serial # ,bi-cut neck, looks real nice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 371wt_1114

(If not, could you post a link to the auction?)

Elwood

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:43 am

Welcome to the forum Kappy.

If it were to be a Tribby you will see that in the S/N (as indicated by Elwood above) and on the headstock. A US made G&L has the phrase 'GUITARS BY LEO' underneath the G&L logo whereas on the Tribby you'll see 'TRIBUTE SERIES' (see e.g. the headstock pic for this eBay auction). Other differences are case (US) vs. gig bag (Tribby) and the Phyllis Fender signed Certificate of Aujtenticity that is only provided for US built instruments.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:49 am

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the responses.

Here is the link from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260986778800?ss ... 1497.l2649

It doesn't say Tribute or Guitars by Leo.

I like the auction also that was posted above. The Comanche looks really sweet with the black pickguard as well.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:04 am

Hi Kappy,

Although that one does nor have a 'Guitars by Leo' under the G&L decal, nor is there a COA, nor does the listing show the S/N (why only mention it in the title?!) I wouldn't worry. And it is not the case that convinces me either but rather the Bird's Eye Maple neck, G&L stamped neck plate (which are only provided on US built instruments), and lettering with shadow used for the model decal.

Congrats! You got it for a good price.

- Jos

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you very much. I started to question whether or not the listing was accurate.

Thank you for the info and for the added bonus that I got it for a good price.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Hey Kappy! I just grabbed a used U.S. Comanche and it also does not say( gtrs by Leo under G+L) it is not shadowed in any of the lettering,theG+L has a gold trim around it,and the bridge just says G+L on the top towards the neck. You can look at it in introductions under...Hello All(timewave) its blueburst..and also has G+L stamped on the neck plate.Mine is a 1999 although the old owner thought it was a 1997. Kappy your about to get one fine guitar that you"ll never part with. I had mine maybe 2 months and I"m still facinated by the way it plays and sounds! congrats....Oh if its a TRIBUTE you cant miss it on the headstock,a coa can be obtained through G+L(Chris) He also sent the sticker,tag and some picks(G+L on them)allen wrench and tremelo bar for ,like 35.00 GREAT G+L pick man!!! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW GTR.!

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks timewave. appreciate the info. I am going to hunt down that coa and follow your advice. Mine came today. I had never seen locking tuners before and didn't even know what to do. I am trying to figure out all of the options I have with this baby. I think I will take it to have a setup down tomorrow. I am not sure about the intonation and I can't plug in because everyone is sleeping here but me. There may be some fretbuzz which concerns me but not too much because the necks and frets are beautiful.Thanks again all.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Kappy
The locking tuners are very simple,loosen,pull string tightly through,tighten and tune!(that from my gtr guy),dont feel bad I was also new to these tuners. Check out more of this site and you"ll find everything you need about your Comanche, from pup conf. and mix of pups, all case candy can be obtained at G+Ls web site. Enjoy your gtr.!! call Chris (G+L)