Are the new ASAT Special Bridges made in the USA?

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:00 pm

I am going to be building a "Partscaster" and I would like to use a G&L ASAT Special bridge. I have the opportunity to buy one from an American made Special from 1994. I was wondering if the bridges nowadays are made in the USA? If not, is there a difference between the USA models of yesteryear and the new ones (Assuming they are made outside of the US)?

Thanks!

Re: Are the new ASAT Special Bridges made in the USA?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:32 am

NOt sure where the new ones are made but I do know the older ones are a bit different - for one thing they're a bit heftier - look at the wrap around sides - compare a new one (see G&L website) with an older one - theres' one on Ebay at the moment. The older ones are a bit flatter & wider and the newer ones are thinner and more pointy. The older ones aren't as bright and shiny + the G&L logo is more pronounced.
Also, the bridge saddles on the new ones are made of a different material - Craig could tell you what they're made of.
I beiieve the changeover took place in the late 90's so the one your friend has will be of the older variety. I know b/c I bought one off Ebay off a '94 hardtail legacy a few years back and it was identical to the one on my late 80's ASAT Sig.
Hope this helps -
Cheers,
Kf

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:19 am

That totally helps. I have put my Project ASAT on hold while I am working for the summer. Hopefully I will be able to get back to it when I have a few weeks free in August. Thanks for the info, though :alright:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 am

Here's the latest information from Steve:

Hi Craig,

Regarding all the bridges used on US G&L instruments (ASAT Classic, ASAT Special, Dual Fulcrum, Saddle Lock Bass);
years ago they were made in the US. One of the challenges G&L faced back then was multiple vendors to supply all
the necessary parts at a quality and price level that met our demands. Over the years, a good number of these small,
local southern California vendors went out of business, had quality or delivery issues that created production nightmares
for the factory.

It was decided to look for a source that could supply the bridges complete ... no more dealing with a vendor for plating,
die casting, milling or having to find all the little screws, springs, etc that go into the bridges.

There is a well known (in the world of guitar manufacturing) factory in Taiwan that specialize in making a variety of
musical instrument hardware (mainly guitar and drum hardware). This company was able offer "one stop shopping" for
G&L that would not only supply high quality parts to the Fullerton Factory, but be able to provide similar hardware that
would be used on the Tribute Series. Once we found this source, we could guarantee consistency in the hardware used
on both the US and Tribute Series instruments. There are some differences in the material used on the bridge saddles
between the US and Tribute ... US bridges all have brass saddles, while the Tribute Series are zinc.

The company we use for our hardware in Taiwan also supplies bridges and tuning key to Fender, Gibson and Music Man
that are used on their US instruments.

I hope this information is helpful

Thanks

Steve Grom

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: