Trying to ID a '91 G&L

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:07 am

Hello all.

I'm new to the G&L world. Used to mess with older Music Man amps, ended up chasing Leo to what looks like a 1991 ASAT Classic.

I've been looking through specs, and there's just a couple of things that don't seem to add up.

Maple neck, black finish, two MFD tele-style pickups, gold signature decal on front, 3-screw neck leather plate but all gold hardware, white pick guard white, and Gotoh tuners. It seems like there was a commemorative signature edition in 1991, but those all seem to have gold hardware and pickgaurd and have natural or cherry burst finishes. Also, did G&L ever use gotoh tuners? These could be transplants.

Any help? Thanks!

Re: Trying to ID a '91 G&L

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi PK1,

Until about 2004, G&L offered gold hardware. They stopped offering it when gold prices skyrocketed and it became too hard to set a proper price point. So there are quite a few instruments out there with gold hardware beyond the Commemorative model you mention. The Leo Fender signature decal was an option on all models produced between 1988 and about 1992. These instruments are refered to as 'Signature' models, e.g. yours would be n ASAT Classic Signature (and would usually add about $100 to the price of a second hand model in the current market). The Gotoh tuners are more than likely modifications. G&L has been using both Spertzel (which always are brabded as such) and Schaller machines (which are almost always stamped with a G&L logo). Unless someone corrects me, I am not aware that Gotoh machines were ever used.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks a lot Jos. The tuners were throwing me. I was also confused since I thought the 'signature' models were limited to those early one he had signed in the neck pocket. I hadn't and don't plan to crack it open to check, but due to the date it seemed pretty unlikely.

Yup, still have lots to learn.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:15 pm

You might check these posts, for starters:

Production List of G&L Instruments (USA)

Leo Signature Series decal

Also check out the Gallery for photos and more info, too:

Album: ASAT and Broadcaster models

Album: Ad Slicks and Memorabilia

Also, check out Greg Gagliano's website on G&L guitars and basses, too.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: