g+l comanche date made ?

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:44 pm

my comanche was bought used and the seller said it was a 1997 blueburst but after a new set-up my tech said it was dated 1999 on the neck and body.Does this sound correct? It has a cl serial no.Trying to date it for i need a tremlo bar.

Re: g+l comanche date made ?

Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:32 pm

timewave wrote:my comanche was bought used and the seller said it was a 1997 blueburst but after a new set-up my tech said it was dated 1999 on the neck and body.Does this sound correct? It has a cl serial no.Trying to date it for i need a tremlo bar.

Yes, that does sound right. The CLxxxxx serial numbering was started in late 1997. There was a transition period where there was a mix of old CLxxxxx and new CLFxxxxx serial numbering. I have seen
instruments with CLxxxxx serial numbers and build dates of 1999. There is at least one other Comanche (Clear Orange finish) in our G&L Registry which was built in 1999 and has the CLxxxxx serial number.
See these posts in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance and How do I determine an instrument's age?

You can get the correct trem bar from the G&L Online store. Here's a link to the part you want: Vibrato arm for USA G&L.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated G&L On-Line Store link

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Thanks,I was starting to think this gtr. was Frankinstein, 1999 date and cl serial no. :shocked028:

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:28 pm

I have a 1983 Nighthawk that I bought new. When I tried to register it on the G&L registry someone else had already registered another model with the same serial number.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:09 pm

blindtommy wrote:I have a 1983 Nighthawk that I bought new. When I tried to register it on the G&L registry someone else had already registered another model with the same serial number.

It is very rare for there to be duplicate serial numbers on G&L instruments. I have only seen a couple of documented dups.
It is likely that the serial number on one of those instruments was read incorrectly. The serialized powdercoated neck plates
can be difficult to read due to the powdercoating filling into the stamped numbers.

Go ahead and register your Nighthawk (which could have the serial number stamped on the bridge or the neck plate) as a new
entry and I will contact the owner of the other instrument to get this sorted out.

Thanks.

:ugeek: