Q: just acquired a 1980 F-100: appears Leo signed it??

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:18 pm

Hey All,

Recently bought a tobacco, mahagony sunburst F-100, Series II; serial number G001198; ebony fingerboard; soft tail.

Took it to the tech for cleaning and service. He found something interesting. It appears to have Leo's signature in pencil on the wood in the cavity for the DF Vibrato, along with his signature in black felt marker on the back of the backplate covering the vibrato. Both are signed, "Leo," and both signatures look right, but of course could be fake. The tech said he didn't think the plate had been removed in a long time.

So, my question is whether anybody has ever seen his signature in/around the vibrato? Was Leo signing guitars on which he might have worked or checked out? Anybody hear of his signing anything other than the Broadcaster neck pocket tags??

Anyway, it's a really nice rig. Needed a refret, but other than a few nicks on the finish, it's in great shape.

thanks,

David

Re: Q: just acquired a 1980 F-100: appears Leo signed it??

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Congrats, and Welcome...

Looking forward to pics of the guitar and the sigs.

Elwood

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:05 am

I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow. Thanks

David

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 am

tenshin wrote:I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow. Thanks

David

Yes, please do post some photos. For photo posting see: Tutorial: Posting photos.

BTW, there was at least one other Leo (Crabtree) who worked at the G&L Factory.

Looking forward to seeing your photos. :searching:

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 am

Ok, let me try, once again, to post the photos.

First one is the F-100,

Second one is the vibrato cavity with Leo scrawled in pencil on the wood - look carefully - and Leo on the back of the backplate.

Could these really be Leo's signatures? Didn't get a look at the neck plate/pocket.

Was Leo known to sign instruments - perhaps those he hand some hand in building or testing??

Plays great, and just curious about the signature. It does look like his.

thanks,

David

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:37 am

Wow that's a dreamy F-100, congrats

It's hard (for me) to see the signature under the finish in the second picture,

The first picture looks like most of Leo Fender sigs that I have seen.
I'd bet for some reason or another he chose to sign this F-100.

Maybe someone handpicked it at the Factory in 1980-81 and had Leo Fender
sign the backplate.

Can you shoot a straight on pic of the cavity Sig with a little more light?

Congrats again,

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 am

tenshin wrote:Image
David

David, comparing the sig on the cavity cover and this one in one of my Broadcasters the 'L' having the correct swirls seems to indicate it is, as does the 'e'. But the 'o' doesn't because of the swirl at the top right. Also on the signature on the 'Signature' models, the 'o' terminates on the upper left of the letter. So in al honesty, I don't know for sure, although I suspect it is (in my non-expert opinion). The one in the cavity however seems to be genuinely Leo's.

Great looking instrument no matter what :happy0065:

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 am

Here is a post by one of G&L historians, HLG: CL Initials Clarification. He states that Leo Fender
did not sign any G&L neck pockets. Of course, these signatures are in the trem cavity and trem cover.

Looking at Jos' post, in my opinion, I don't think that Leo Fender signed either of these.
The 'L' , 'e' and 'o' look different from known Leo Fender signatures.

As I mentioned above, there was another G&L employee named Leo Crabtree who worked in
the factory, so it's possible that it is his signature. But without seeing his written signature,
that would just be pure speculation.

Perhaps Larry (HLG) will be able to add some comments as to whether or not this might be
Leo Fender's signature.

Please do add this F-100 to our G&L Registry.

BTW, that is a great looking F-100. It look's like a Tobacco Sunburst finish. Where did you
find it?

:ugeek: