View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 A Question from a Newbie 

Post A Question from a Newbie
I have been bitten by the G&L bug, and I now need an ASAT. I have no problem buying a new one, but figure it's worth checking out craigslist to see what's out there. I came across an ad for an '87 ASAT. The posting said, "They don't make the ASAT like this anymore." It implies that the older versions are better than the new. (Of course, it could also mean they have been improved greatly.) Does anyone know what this means? I have tried researching it on the Internet, but after reading several posts in here, I know someone knows what this guy is talking about.

Thanks,

RJCAMM

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:32 pm

Post Re: A Question from a Newbie
RJ , are there pictures in the CL ad? If so, can you supply us with the link and we may be able to give you more information. -- Darwin

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:43 pm
Site Admin

Check out this post in the G&L Knowledgebase: List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars. It lists the variations of the ASAT/ASAT Special.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:18 pm
Profile WWW

RJCAMM,

I'm a big fan of the older ASATs, but I wouldn't put either older or newer ones above the other. For me, the older ones have the vibe that comes from decades of playing. My ASATs are from '86, '88 and '95, with an ASAT Classic from '98. Unless an incredible deal or a rarebird I've been lusting after shows up, my next guitar purchase will probably be another Leo-era ASAT.

Here are some of the features that distinguish the early ASATs from later models:

- They're very likely to have maple bodies.
- The hardware is usually black.
- Black crinkle hardware is common.

On the other hand, none of these features affect playability, and in the BBE era there have been ever increasing variety in pickups, cosmetics, and trim, not to mention semi-hollow construction and many gorgeous finishes. The newer ones are likely to be extremely attractive and playable guitars. You just aren't going to find maple bodies, all-black hardware, or crinkle pickguards in anything under twenty years old.

Ken

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Wow, I knew this was the place to go to. Here's the listing http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ms ... 64423.html.

I appreciate all the information. Now, I have no idea what to do! Maybe I should tell my wife I need both.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 pm

I have several of the older three bolt neck ASATs and Legacys and also several of each with the four bolt neck. I also wouldn't rate one above the other, I like them all and I play them all, neither gets preferential play time.

As for the CL listing, any seller who lists an ASAT as equipped with "P-90s" is talking through their hat and doesn't know diddley about the item they're selling.

And talk about "they no longer make the ASATs like this" is just an attempt to up the asking price.

In my opinion of course :D :fighting0030: :evilgrin:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:17 am

That is a nice looking guitar, but the price may be a little bit high. The darkness of the body grain looks like swamp ash, which is probably the most common wood you'll find on ASATs after '87. Both of mine have been purchased in the past year, and neither cost over $650. Both were the much less common maple bodies.

If you can try this guitar out and fall in love with it, it probably wouldn't be a bad deal. You could probably get a better deal if you look around a bit. Somebody posted a link to a very early blonde ASAT that was on the Greenville SC CL a month or two ago. I think it was $750. It was hard to resist the temptation on that one.

Ken

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Ken, thanks for the information. Problem is I am in S. Korea for the next 4 months. When I go back to LA, I think I am going to just buy a new one at a dealer. Since I don't know as much as everyone on this board, I am better off buying one brand new and not have to worry about who tinkered with it, sanded it, etc. After getting some working knowledge of the guitars, I'll start finding the deals on craigslist.

Very much appreciated.

Rob

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:16 pm

You won't be disappointed with a new one. Plus you'll get the fun of figuring out the model, finish, options, etc. There can be a bit of a lead time on new orders, so if you hope to have the guitar in hand shortly after you return to the States you may want to start thinking about the order soon. There is a lot of discussion on this board about the sound/feel of various models and the relative advantages of different options, so I'm sure you could get some first-hand perspective on specifying the ASAT of your dreams.

If you really liked the one on CL, you could match it with an ASAT Special with natural gloss finish over a swamp ash body and a vintage tint gloss neck. I think the current neck profile that's closest to the old ones is the 2b. A dealer that also sees a lot of older G&Ls could probably confirm this for you.

Good luck and have fun!

Ken

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]