Unclear about serial numbers

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 am

How can I determine or confirm if serial number CLF46337 is a custom creations department build or not?

Thanks - g

Re: Unclear about serial numbers

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Since when is there a department, which does nothing but custom builds?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:31 pm

According to G&L there is: "The G&L Custom Creations Department brings together a team of our most experienced craftsmen, in a venue where they find inspiration to explore ideas and freedom conventional production requirements. The only requirement is that every CCD instrument must embody distinctive tonal or visual characteristics which sets it apart from the range of custom-optioned instruments that are built on a regular basis. While CCD instruments are not regularly available for order, these instruments are build to the same superb standard of craftsmanship as our ongoing line of hand-crafted G&L instruments"

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:31 pm

GGH, I will take a shot at this question. Custom Creations models are usually identified with a customs creations decal on the back of the headstock. I notice the guitar in your avatar appears to be a Classic S. Other instruments can be built as Special Build instruments. The Custom Creation instruments usually are identified as a number of whatever number are built sunc as 018 of 100. The Special builds can be built in small batches and are not as easily identified as special build models. The early classic S was a special build. Is that what you are asking? But the serial number you have listed, I do not think it is a Custom Creations model or it would have a decal on the back of the headstock. This is explained on the main G&L web site and they also list Custom Creations models and some of the Special Builds.-- Darwin
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/customcreations/index2.asp
Last edited by darwinohm on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks, very informative. And yes, my ASAT Classic is either a CCD "S" or a modified Classic done very professionally. Either way, it is a great guitar. I was hoping the serial number would help identify it somehow.

thanks-

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:37 pm

GGH, It would be interesting if you could post some pictures. Does it have a tummy cut or is it a semi hollow? Have you registered it in the Registry? It looks like a beautiful guitar from your avatar,-- Darwin

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 pm

I did register it. I'll do my best to take some photos this week and post them.

thanks-g

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:10 pm

ggh_gl wrote:Thanks, very informative. And yes, my ASAT Classic is either a CCD "S" or a modified Classic done very professionally. Either way, it is a great guitar. I was hoping the serial number would help identify it somehow.

thanks-

If it is an ASAT Classic 'S' it will have a short bathtub route for the neck and middle pickups, like this:

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks Craig, I'll take a look at the routing.

g

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi Gary,

Just to provide some more info to what has been provided above: your 'CLF46337' S/N is commensurate with those used for the CCD Classic 'S' guitars built in 2007, yours being one of the 25 3-Tone Sunburst / Rosewood / Tortoise Shell pickguard versions. Indeed many of the CCD models, Limited Editions as well as Special Build, have a CCD logo on the back of the headstock, but not all. And the 2007 run is one of these exceptions. Neither did they come with a Silver Certificate of Authenticity which G&L started to provide for CCD built instruments in 2008. So the documentation on the website and your S/N is the only proof. I'm pretty sure that when you would take off the pickguard, you'll find the rout as described by Craig. But another way to verify it is a Classic 'S' is that these CCD runs were semi-hollow without an f-hole. So your guitar should be lightweight and, when tapping around on the body, it should have hollow spaces under the surface (especially on the bass side in the same area as where you see the f-hole in Craig's picture).

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Jos - You are absolutely correct!

Craig - I followed your advice and lifted the pick guard to confirm not only the "bathtub Route", but also found a build label confirming that the guitar is a Classic S, Semi-Hollow, no f-hole, Sun Burst, Rosewood, black middle pick-up built April 26, 2007.

I'll figure out how to post a photo of the label.

Thanks for all your help!

-g

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:25 pm

ggh_gl wrote:
Craig - I followed your advice and lifted the pick guard to confirm not only the "bathtub Route", but also found a build label confirming that the guitar is a Classic S, Semi-Hollow, no f-hole, Sun Burst, Rosewood, black middle pick-up built April 26, 2007.

I'll figure out how to post a photo of the label.

-g

Yes, that does confirm that it is a genuine ASAT Classic 'S' Special Build model. :thumbup:

This post should help: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Hope this link to my Photos works!

[http://s1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj560/ggh993/]

Thanks again - g :happy0065:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Just trying out the inline [Img] option on this photo to see if I understand how to embed a pic.
-g

[img][IMG]http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj560/ggh993/2007GLASATClassicS-Semi-Hollow-SpecialBuild_InternalLabel.jpg[/img][/img]

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:45 pm

We do have a Test Area sub-forum for trying out testing posting with links and photos.

If you will review the Tutorial, I'm sure you will see the corrections to make to get both your link and inline photo working. Do try them out in the Test Area.
If you have any questions or need some assistance, don't hesitate to PM or email me. I'll be glad to help.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:15 pm

ggh_gl wrote:Image

There you go. You has a couple of image tags too many, and the all-caps 'IMG' is a killer ;) Make me wonder what under the pickguard of my '07 Butterscotch Blonde Classic 'S' :think:

- Jos