USA-made Comanche - mini toggle switch

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Hello everyone,

this is my first post, and I'm writing only because I could not find the answer to my question. If this topic has already been addressed, then I've simply overlooked it and I apologize.

Today I became the proud owner of a gorgeous blueburst Comanche. I own a semi-hollow Bluesboy as well (no f-hole), and was looking for another Bluesboy until I saw this Comanche. First of all, I'm amazed at the sounds this thing can produce. My question is this: when the mini-toggle switch is in the "up" position, e.g., pointing toward the neck, is this using the regular strat-style wiring or is that the position where all 3 pickups are being used? I can't figure it out.

All responses are appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Re: USA-made Comanche - mini toggle switch

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi, the easiest way to find out which pickups are active is to tap the pole pieces lightly with something metallic when plugged into an amp, a small screw driver or an allen key should do . When both are active at the same time tapping on both will produce a sound through the amp.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:46 pm

SouthpawGuy wrote:When both are active at the same time tapping on both will produce a sound through the amp.

That's true and a general way to check it out.

In this case it can be done simpler. If the switch is on, it just switches the neck and bridge pickup together. So you have the same sound in positions 1 and 5 (neck, bridge) and in positions 2 and 3 (all 3 pickups are on).

So the fastet method: If there's no difference in positions 1 and 5, the switch is on. :)

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Big Mike M wrote:Hello everyone,

this is my first post, and I'm writing only because I could not find the answer to my question. If this topic has already been addressed, then I've simply overlooked it and I apologize.

Today I became the proud owner of a gorgeous blueburst Comanche. I own a semi-hollow Bluesboy as well (no f-hole), and was looking for another Bluesboy until I saw this Comanche. First of all, I'm amazed at the sounds this thing can produce. My question is this: when the mini-toggle switch is in the "up" position, e.g., pointing toward the neck, is this using the regular strat-style wiring or is that the position where all 3 pickups are being used? I can't figure it out.

All responses are appreciated. Thanks a lot!

The mini-toggle switch is called the expander switch. See this post in the G&L Knowledgebase:What is the expander switch used on many of the models?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:02 am

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the explanations! I think I got the hang of it! I sure appreciate it! :D