Buying a g and l neck

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:02 am

I recently got a g and custom classic pearl anniversary which i love, but the #1 neck is a little wide for my hands (or a little flat for my hands) cuases a lot of fatigue compared to my gibsons..................does g and l simply sell necks in either a more gibson like radius.... or something similar to a fender radius.......
or more like a prs radius..........? I love the guitar, and i would be happy to but a more comfortable neck.........thanks
michael

Re: Buying a g and l neck

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi michael,

You might want to try any of the more Fender like #2 neck options. But notice that the nut width is still the same, i.e 1 5/8".

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Michael, I am trying to understand exactly what you are saying but I'm going to take a shot at this and correct if I am misunderstanding. You have a Custom Classic Anniversary which is an American G&L with a #1 neck. So far we know it is a 12 inch radius which is the same as a Gibson. Prs is similar and Fender is primarily 7.25, 9.5 and a few at 12. I don't think what you are experiencing is a radius issue but rather a neck thickness ( not to be confused with width) issue. If you are playing a thinner neck (bottom of neck to fretboard) than you are used to, that can cause fatigue because you are closing your grip more than you are used to. PRS makes wide thin and wide fat necks. I have a wide thin and happen to like it but we are all different. I suspect that if you had more "meat " in the neck you may be more comfortable. I suggest that you try to determine specifically what is causing the discomfort and then it can be solved. I am confused because you say that you like both Fender necks and Gibson necks. They are very different animals. -- Darwin

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks guys
I wish I knew exactly what makes this neck hard on my hands. It just feels too wide, and yet my prs wide thin and wide regular necks feel fine, as do my gibsons with the same radius. I. Will say again, its the best sounding single coil guitar ive ever played.are the strings further apart on th
e g and #1 than on a wide prs? Thanks in advance