Legacy Headstock Discoloration - Any Thoughts?

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Hello, I just purchased a Legacy 2 HB used online and when I got it, I noticed a yellow tint on the neck in spaces between the tuners. It isn't anywhere else on the neck, just there. Just curious as to what it could be. Tried a little alchohol on it, did not phase it. It's not a huge deal, just never seen it before on any other G&L I have had. Neck is the satin natural color. Thanks for any thoughts. Image

Re: Legacy Headstock Discoloration - Any Thoughts?

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:06 pm

First question I have is how old is the guitar? This looks like exposure to light from the same continues angle for a long period of time such as displayed under a high light condition. I suspect that the neck has lightened considerably and the darker areas have been shadowed. Earlier poly-urethane paints had a natural yellowish tint in clear. Just a shot in the dark.-- Darwin

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:46 pm

The serial number is CLF49453. Not sure of the age or how to decipher the G&L serial numbers, though.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:05 pm

That is not very old. Probably a 2008-2009. I am at a loss as to why this has happened but I would guess it is an environmental exposure to something issue.-- Darwin

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:28 am

Here is the rest of the guitar. I guess I can put up with a little discoloration with a guitar that looks and plays this good. [img][IMG]http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/Jay_McIlwaine/IMG_2814.jpg[/img][/img]

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Fretless, that is a nice looking G&L. I just happened to look at my oldest legacy tonight and the only one with a satin neck. It is probably a 2001 build and the headstock is aging beautifully. It has darkened and the discoloration is a bit uneven around the tuning pegs (back side) but not to the degree yours has. Mine is very subtle and actually appealing. I hadn't thought of checking before but the clear satin appears to age. I checked my GOTs from earlier and they seem to stay the same and they are all gloss, a heavier coat of finish. For what ever it's worth, it would be interesting if know which condition causes more darkening. Light or dark (as being stored in the case).-- Darwin

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks for looking into it, it's kind of a mystery, but really not a huge deal, but it would be good to know what caused it, like you said. I do like the 2 humbucker configuration with the coiltap, very versatile guitar. G&Ls never disappoint!

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:17 pm

fretlesswonder wrote:Thanks for looking into it, it's kind of a mystery, but really not a huge deal, but it would be good to know what caused it, like you said. I do like the 2 humbucker configuration with the coiltap, very versatile guitar. G&Ls never disappoint!

Somehow I overlooked this post, but I do have a possible answer.
See Re: Headstock discolouration.

:ugeek: