What is TGN?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:29 pm

I see the acronym 'TGN' in the G&L Registry and sometimes in ads for G&L instruments. What does it mean?

TIA,

test4

Re: What is TGN?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:59 pm

It stands for Tinted Gun-oil Neck, which is a neck finishing option. It gives the neck an aged vintage yellow look.

Here is some information about how this finish was applied and how it is now applied at the G&L Factory:

Note: I had been sent some pictures of a Legacy which had what appeared to be reddish blotches on parts of the neck and was asked if
this neck had a factory finish. I sent this email with these pictures to Steve Grom (Director of Manufacturing) and here is his reply:

When G&L first started the “TGN” (tinted gun oil) finish option on the necks, the finishing process began with a rub-on (applied by hand) gun oil to provide the darker tint and then a clear coat on top of the tint. In the world of wood finishing, one of the more difficult finishes to apply evenly is an oil-based stain or tint. Depending on the wood grain (flat grain, open end-grain, soft grain lines, etc) the rub-on finished is absorbed differently into the wood. The more open or soft the gain, the more finish that gets absorbed and the darker the tint will be in that area. It is also much more difficult for the person applying the rub-on tint to make sure they are putting the exact same amount of finish evenly on the entire wood surface. The end result with many of the original TGN finishes is exactly what is seen in the pictures of this instrument. In just my short time here at the factory, I’m seen a number of older necks that look just like this Legacy neck.

In an effort to obtain a more consistent finish, we switched to a tinted additive that is mixed in with the clear finish and then sprayed onto each neck. The painter can now apply the finish in very even coats and have much greater control of the final color/tint. In addition, by mixing the color additive into the clear coat, this material does not penetrate the wood to the same degree as the original gun oil did, due to different levels of consistency. This process eliminates the “blotchy” or darker spots found on the earlier necks. (Sorry, none of the guys here today could remember when we made this switch).

I hope this helps shed some light on the how and why of the early TGN finishes.

For the new SC-2 guitars, the necks came with Gun Oil Tint finished with satin on the back and tinted gloss on the headstock face until 2012,
when neck options were made available for this model.

In 2012 and 2013 they expanded the tint finish options for both Gloss and Satin finished necks. See the current Guitar Options and Bass Options pages on the G&L website.
Last edited by Craig on Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: updated links to Internet Archives for 2013 Guitar and Bass Options glguitars.com webpages.