Legacy question - modded tone knob/pick-up query

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:15 am

Hi Folks, I have a legacy made for Jerry Donahue in 2002. The middle knob has been modded with a grubscrew which makes it a two position switch. Any ideas what this might do? Is it like a phase switch? leads go to all three pickups - I looked inder the pickguard.

Also, the bridge pick-up (only) has a thick copper plate screwed to its base - is that for any reason.

One final question, when the guitar is on and volumes up, theres a very faint buzz or crackle when touching the strings.

I promise I won't ask anu more questions until i've had some replies. Pics available of the guitar if needed.

Cheers

Rickeroo

Re: Legacy question - modded tone knob/pick-up query

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:39 am

marlingschap wrote:Hi Folks, I have a legacy made for Jerry Donahue in 2002. The middle knob has been modded with a grubscrew which makes it a two position switch. Any ideas what this might do? Is it like a phase switch? leads go to all three pickups - I looked inder the pickguard.

Also, the bridge pick-up (only) has a thick copper plate screwed to its base - is that for any reason.

One final question, when the guitar is on and volumes up, theres a very faint buzz or crackle when touching the strings.

I promise I won't ask anu more questions until i've had some replies. Pics available of the guitar if needed.

Cheers

Rickeroo

It may have the same pickups and wiring as the 1997 Fender Hellecasters Limited Edition Jerry Donahue Stratocaster.
Here is a link to the Owners manual pdf file.

See page 2 for a complete description of the various settings.

Please do post pics of this guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks Craig, you're very likely spot on and a mystery may at last be cleared up! I can't work out how to upload pics - can you help?

Cheers

Rick

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:51 am

marlingschap wrote:Thanks Craig, you're very likely spot on and a mystery may at last be cleared up! I can't work out how to upload pics - can you help?

Cheers

Rick

For posting photos see:

READ ME FIRST: guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines
Tutorial: Posting photos

Hope this helps.