Pickguard Blemishes

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Does anyone know of a technique to remove or reduce smudge blemishes on plastic pickguards?

When I purchased my Legacy the tech guy at the shop removed the plastic protector sheet. The other day I was polishing the guitar with a microfiber cloth and noticed a surface smudge. If I ever sold the guitar it would be considered significant when the guitar is in mint condition otherwise. It does not breach the surface but it is like a permanent dull smear when everything is shinning. I cannot tell how it was made, chemical, physical abrasion or both. It is just a smudge in the shine and not like something has eaten the surface. The pickguard is black so, like a black paint job on a car, a smudge blemish shows up. I intend to take great care of this guitar.

I ordered a book on guitar set ups, mods and repairs, unfortunately it does not speak of this kind of repair.

Maybe use something like this?

NOVUS 7100

Or this?

3M Lens Polish & Protector

Re: Pickguard Blemishes

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Michael-GnL-Michael wrote:Does anyone know of a technique to remove or reduce smudge blemishes on plastic pickguards?

When I purchased my Legacy the tech guy at the shop removed the plastic protector sheet. The other day I was polishing the guitar with a microfiber cloth and noticed a surface smudge. If I ever sold the guitar it would be considered significant when the guitar is in mint condition otherwise. It does not breach the surface but it is like a permanent dull smear when everything is shinning. I cannot tell how it was made, chemical, physical abrasion or both. It is just a smudge in the shine and not like something has eaten the surface. The pickguard is black so, like a black paint job on a car, a smudge blemish shows up. I intend to take great care of this guitar.

I ordered a book on guitar set ups, mods and repairs, unfortunately it does not speak of this kind of repair.

Maybe use something like this?

NOVUS 7100

Or this?

3M Lens Polish & Protector

It would help if you post some pictures of the pickguard showing the smudges.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:55 am

I have used these products to remove finger rub marks from picking on pickguards and they do work very well. Black pickguards also show everything> I initially used these products to keep my Gold Wing windshield perfectly clear. I would not use them on Lexan or Lexan coated plastics.-- Darwin

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:33 pm

A friend at work is bringing in a product he uses on his boat. I am going to experiment on a spare lid to a coffee maker, (also black, smooth and shiny plastic).

I was looking at it again last night and remembered it being worse. I guess the initial discovery traumatized me. :shocked003:

I'll take pictures though I have doubts about it showing up accurately, being black and with the glare and all but we shall see.......or we may not. :searching:

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:25 am

I was going to take pictures but the batteries on my camera were dead so I am recharging them. I placed the guitar on a table under good light and was able to determine that the damage had to have been done by the guitar tech at the store when he removed the protective plastic from the pickguard. Apparently he rubbed too hard and used cloth material that was rough enough to scratch and create blemishes. There are marks wherever there are corners and screws to work out the pinched plastic.

I must say, what a doofus move. He should have known better. There are some scratches that look like he even used something sharp like a razor blade or a fine tipped flathead screwdriver. I have never purchased a brand new guitar. Like I have alluded to before, when I have purchased things considered high-end there is a level of treatment and expertise that has come with it. I have been taken care of and advised by knowledgeable salespeople about things you would not consider when buying mainstream goods. This is something I would anticipate from a Guitar Center (at least in the past as I have not set foot in one since maybe 1988?) but not this shop.

It has now been more than three months since I bought the guitar. If you have not already figure this out, thoroughly inspect every nook and cranny as much as you can before making a purchase and certainly finish it up ASAP once you get it home. I wasn't this thorough before the purchase but I did not expect the staff to damage it in the process of making the purchase. There has been a lot of poop going on in my life but I neglected my duty to look out for the inevitable unexpected.

I know some people would not care and figure the pickguard is going to get scratched up as you play. Everyone is different. However, I am pretty sure more people would want something I have owned than something the people caring less have owned.

The product that my friend recommended is 3M Marine Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish.

I used some on the pickguard but I did not notice any improvement beyond what I had already done with a clean and dry microfiber cloth. I might try one of the other products or I might just replace the pickguard.

Darwin, has one of the products you have used been any better than another?

darwinohm wrote:I have used these products to remove finger rub marks from picking on pickguards and they do work very well. Black pickguards also show everything> I initially used these products to keep my Gold Wing windshield perfectly clear. I would not use them on Lexan or Lexan coated plastics.-- Darwin

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:32 pm

A product called Novus #2 fine scratch remover is a good product for removing fine scratches. After removing the scratch, i finish with Novus # 1 plastic polish. I have removed scratches from material like your pickguard using 3 m wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand with 1000 grit until the scratches are removed, then using 1500 grit and a final with 2000. all wet sanding. this works well if you have a layer of plastic such as a pickguard ply. You would not want to do this to just a coating of plastic as it may go through. After wet sanding with 2000 grit, dry and use a swirl removal compound, by hand with a soft cloth. That should fix it to as new and then apply a coat of wax. As always you need to have some idea of what you are doing. I use Novus on pickguards before the scratches get too deep and they look like new. Hope this helps. I have removed some serious scratches that people put in motorcycle windshields from using service station bug remover scrapers designed for autos. That works on plexiglass but not on lexan coated windshields such as the original Honda Gold Wing windshields.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks Darwin.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:10 pm

`` I used some on the pickguard but I did not notice any improvement beyond what I had already done with a clean and dry microfiber cloth. I might try one of the other products or I might just replace the pickguard. ``

If (like you say) you have screwdriver scratches around the pickguard holes - You would probably be much better off just ordering a replacement.. A new pickguard is relatively cheap - and well worth the peace of mind!!