Which ASATs have "Swimming Pool" rout? (my preference)

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:15 am

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me which USA Asat models are currently made with the "Swimming Pool" pickup rout.
It's definitely my preference for my next project, to enable adding a middle pup without chopping up the guitar.
I'm sure that this type of rout does no harm at all to the tone, and perhaps a little good.
Best,
Nick

Re: Which ASATs have "Swimming Pool" rout? (my preference)

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:08 pm

NickHorne wrote:I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me which USA Asat models are currently made with the "Swimming Pool" pickup rout.
It's definitely my preference for my next project, to enable adding a middle pup without chopping up the guitar.
I'm sure that this type of rout does no harm at all to the tone, and perhaps a little good.
Best,
Nick

Only the 3 pickup ASAT models are "swimming pool" routed. I confirmed that my Z-3 and Will Ray Signature both are so routed.
I also checked my John Jorgenson Signature ASAT and it has individual pickup routes. I know that the 2 pickup ASAT Classic models
have individuals pickup routes too.

Hope this helps.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:30 pm

The ASAT Classic S, the one that's like a 3 pickup 'Nashville' telecaster, also has a swimming pool route

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 am

Thank you both; you've confirmed what I imagined was the case, though I didn't know about the "Nashville"-type model before. It's got me thinking that it would make a really good experimental chassis for pickup choices!
I think it must be discontinued though? Don't see it on the site. Perhaps they might do a custom build (not enough G&L's in Europe to fuel a secondhand market like you have over there in US - Euro sales drive please!)
Great guitars, all of them. Every one I've seen is better built than the competition by a huge margin. Not always "shinier", but streets better.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:29 am

The Classic S WAS a limited production model, having had a few limited production runs in the last few years, but it was recently announced somewhere on this site that it has been added to the list of standard production guitars. The G&L website isn't always up to date!

Re: "Swimming Pool" rout - an Asat Nashville West model?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 am

Aha! Now, a solid, alder, two-colour burst, quartersawn neck, tort plate version and, when I get it home, a Hipshot and a series switch, and a phase-reverse on a pull-pot, and bin the middle-only selection and make that = neck + bridge, and .... what a Clarence that might become! Swimming pool for any future pup ideas - I imagine that's a "small" pool? I mean the back pup might most likely be mounted like regular tele / Classic, and then a little swimming pool for the other two? Otherwise the pup end of the bridge would be kind of hanging in space over a big pool! Anyone know about this? I'd be really grateful to know, as this is getting to look like a seriously good idea of a custom order.
Sort of a "Nashville West" model.... cool.
Best,
Nick

Re: "Swimming Pool" rout - an Asat Nashville West model?

Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:58 pm

NickHorne wrote:Aha! Now, a solid, alder, two-colour burst, quartersawn neck, tort plate version and, when I get it home, a Hipshot and a series switch, and a phase-reverse on a pull-pot, and bin the middle-only selection and make that = neck + bridge, and .... what a Clarence that might become! Swimming pool for any future pup ideas - I imagine that's a "small" pool? I mean the back pup might most likely be mounted like regular tele / Classic, and then a little swimming pool for the other two? Otherwise the pup end of the bridge would be kind of hanging in space over a big pool! Anyone know about this? I'd be really grateful to know, as this is getting to look like a seriously good idea of a custom order.
Sort of a "Nashville West" model.... cool.
Best,
Nick

See: Which G&L guitar models have the body with a bathtub route?

:ugeek: