Will Ray USA Solid Body

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:26 am

I am new too the forum and new to G&L guitars, I purchased a Will Ray USA Signature Solid body for $800.00 Used, I did enough research on it to know it is a USA, S/N, scull inlays, ect.... but cant find any info on the net about the solid body, only the semi hollow body, it is transparent orange and is the best playing and sounding guitar I have ever owned, any additional info on value, production runs ect... would be welcome.

Thanks

Re: Will Ray USA Solid Body

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:09 pm

pcmusicer wrote:I am new too the forum and new to G&L guitars, I purchased a Will Ray USA Signature Solid body for $800.00 Used, I did enough research on it to know it is a USA, S/N, scull inlays, ect.... but cant find any info on the net about the solid body, only the semi hollow body, it is transparent orange and is the best playing and sounding guitar I have ever owned, any additional info on value, production runs ect... would be welcome.

Thanks

Welcome! :greet:

When first released in 2002, they were a solid body only and I think the body wood was Swamp Ash. I am not sure exactly when it was changed to a Semi-Hollow Swamp Ash body as the standard production model.
Hopefully, Will (aka helle-man) will see your post and post some history about this change. The body wood on your's should be Swamp Ash - we'd love to see a photo of it. There were some custom ordered, as
Semi-Hollow without the f-hole. Check the G&L Registry for all the Will Ray Signature models currently registered.
Also, please do register yours, too.

Hope this helps.

Re: Will Ray USA Solid Body

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Nice score for $800. Glad you like it.

Originally the WR's were to be made light weight from swamp ash. But I found many to still be heavy, so I went to semi-hollow several years later (around 2004).

Also, the WR's started out with just 3 colors (orange was one), but quickly changed to any color G&L offered.

Hope that helps.
Will Ray