Can you get a "build list" from G and L for a guitar?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 pm

My new guitar came without the "build list" showing options etc. that I assumed all new G and L's ship with these days. Far as I know everything else including other paperwork is in order. Did not come with a manual--not that I need one--but I think I read somewhere they don't ship with those anymore.

If the story on it's origin is real, it was brought to NAMM by G and L and taken home from there by the dealer I bought it from, which might explain it.

In any case...is build list something they will send to a customer if asked after being provided with the serial number?

Re: Can you get a "build list" from G and L for a guitar?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 am

bluwoodsman wrote:My new guitar came without the "build list" showing options etc. that I assumed all new G and L's ship with these days. Far as I know everything else including other paperwork is in order. Did not come with a manual--not that I need one--but I think I read somewhere they don't ship with those anymore.

If the story on it's origin is real, it was brought to NAMM by G and L and taken home from there by the dealer I bought it from, which might explain it.

In any case...is build list something they will send to a customer if asked after being provided with the serial number?

Starting in Feburary, 2011, all US made G&L instruments, starting with serial number CLF061000,
will receive a Custom Specification Sheet, detailing the instrument. G&L does not provide a build
list for instruments made prior to this. Did you ask the dealer for a list of the specs on the instrument?
BTW, NAMM instruments are built about a month or two prior to the NAMM show.

The G&L Owner's Manual has not been included with instruments for quite a long time.
For information on setups see our G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks Craig. This makes sense, my guitar is a tad too old to have shipped with the spec list I guess. The dealer wasn't even aware of them--said he didn't recall getting them even with their new custom ordered guitars...so I called and someone at G and L helped me with the main questions I had, fret size, what gauge and make strings it had on it, and neck shape.

I've got a bum shoulder after some surgery at the moment so haven't been able to really put it through it's paces yet, but I'm not sure I'll need to change the setup much.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:01 pm

bluwoodsman wrote:Thanks Craig. This makes sense, my guitar is a tad too old to have shipped with the spec list I guess. The dealer wasn't even aware of them--said he didn't recall getting them even with their new custom ordered guitars...so I called and someone at G and L helped me with the main questions I had, fret size, what gauge and make strings it had on it, and neck shape.

I've got a bum shoulder after some surgery at the moment so haven't been able to really put it through it's paces yet, but I'm not sure I'll need to change the setup much.

Hmm, that's interesting that that dealer was not aware of this change. See Why 2 copies of the Custom Build Specification Certificate?. I guess he must have missed an email or two. ;)
BTW, the Certificates along with the COA are in a black envelope with G&L embossed in silver and located in the instrument case pocket.

Hope this helps.