neck/finger boards

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:53 pm

hey, i have a 5-year old asat custom, maple neck. it has a 1/8 inch or better, maple finger board glued on to the neck. i bought a bboy last year maple neck, but one piece. did g&l stop putting fb's on maple necks? if so why? saving money?

Re: neck/finger boards

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Double check that neck. It may have a plain grain pattern that effectively hides the division between the fingerboard and the neck.
All G&LS currently produced have separate fingerboards. That is how they install the truss rod and that is how they can give you a fancy Birdseye or flame maple fingerboard on a plain maple neck for stability.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:24 pm

with all respect bassman i am a retired cabinetmaker, 30 years in the trade, its one piece. thank you for your reply, just the same

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:45 pm

bassman, i owe you, my mistake . the end grain on the heel of the neck is without a joint. or so it appeared, sure can't see anything on the sides. after some magnification, and removal of the egg on my face, i fiquired i needed to thank you , and apologize. excellent joinery. peace man. to the rest... never mind.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:07 pm

In late 2006/early 2007, G&L changed the truss-rod in the neck. This changed the way the neck was built.
See this link (from G&L's main website): http://www.glguitars.com/features/neck.asp, which explains
both types of necks (bi-cut and current method).
Also, see this post: About non-compression truss rod and Plek.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:29 pm

frederick j wrote:bassman, i owe you, my mistake . the end grain on the heel of the neck is without a joint. or so it appeared, sure can't see anything on the sides. after some magnification, and removal of the egg on my face, i fiquired i needed to thank you , and apologize. excellent joinery. peace man. to the rest... never mind.

I thought the same thing and although not of your experience I have a lot of woodwork under my belt. They use 1 piece and saw the fretboard off and reattach it later. Makes it really hard to see the join as the grain almost matches, and the edge grain is fine as is.