View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Decoding the various G&L pickup part numbers 
Site Admin

Post Decoding the various G&L pickup part numbers
Thanks to Paul Gagon, Vice President Technology, for the following information on the G&L Alnico Humbuckers:

Quote:
Before I go into the specs on the pickups, let me explain a bit about how our pickup part numbers work.
Let me use AS4250B as my example. The first letter "A" stands for Alnico as this is the magnet structure we use
for this pickup. If we were to use Ceramic, the first letter would be "C". The second letter "S" is for "Standard" pole
spacing. This is used for Neck position pickups. When we have a "W" as the second letter we are referring to "Wide"
pole spacing. This is used for Bridge position pickups. Next we have a series of four numbers. The first two numbers
refer to the wire gauge size (either 42ga, 43ga, or 44ga) and the second two numbers are referring to the number of
turns of magnet wire on each bobbin. 50 would equal 5,000 turns. 55 would equal 5,500 turns. 70 would equal 7,000
turns and so on. The last letter in the part number refers to the bobbins or the cover option. For example "B" stands
for Black bobbins. "W" would stand for White bobbins. "Z" stands for one White and one Black bobbin. "C" stands for
Chrome cover.

So basically we have this:
AS4250B = Neck HB with 5,000 turns of 42ga wire per bobbin, Alnico magnet, & Black bobbins.
AS4255C = Neck HB with 5,500 turns of 42ga wire per bobbin, Alnico magnet, & Chrome cover.
AW4370B = Bridge HB with 7,000 turns of 43ga wire per bobbin, Alnico magnet, & Black bobbins.
AW4370C = Bridge HB with 7,000 turns of 43ga wire per bobbin, Alnico magnet, & Chrome cover.

Here's what we got on the pickups.
AS4250B = 8.3K ohms. This is a slightly hotter PAF/Vintage type neck pickup.
AS4255C = 8.4K ohms. This is just a bit hotter than the AS4250B and a bit more warm sounding
Because of the Chrome cover.
AW4370B = 13.4K ohm. This is a high output bridge pickup with a clear midrange and smooth top.
AW4370C = 13.4K ohm. This is a high output bridge pickup that is similar to the AW4370B
But with a warmer tone because of the Chrome cover.

Also see List of pickups used in G&L guitars for the list of which models use these pickups.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Last edited by Craig on Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

changed to Sticky post

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:48 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Decoding the various G&L Alnico Humbucker pickups
Great info again Craig. I think I am pretty sure now what pups are in my ASAT Deluxe. Thanks Paul for this explanation :happy0065:

- Jos

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]