Factory 2nd?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:34 am

Hello. I have a 1991 (possibly 1992) ASAT Classic, Leo Fender Signature that I bought, I'm told, from the original owner. I've had this guitar for a little over a year, and I love it, but I couldn't get it to set up properly. The neck needed to be straightened out because there was a bow towards the neck pu on the top (6th string) side.

Anyway...the tech who fixed it did a great job but said he found a "2" stamped on the bottom of the neck (not the flat part that mounts to the body), but at the actual flat part at the bottom.

I'm assuming it's a factory 2nd? I've seen a 2nd from G&L, and the guitar is great so I'm not THAT upset about it. But it certainly wasn't sold to me as a 2nd. Please confirm if you know that's where they stamp 2nds.

Beautiful guitar though. Bound rosewood neck, tri-burst body, bound body.

Re: Factory 2nd?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 am

Sorry...I meant to say I've NEVER seen a factory 2nd from G&L so I'm not sure what to look for.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 am

Could it mean Neck Profile #2 (see USA Guitar Custom Options?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:49 am

That could be. The tech did tell me it was a 7.5" radius.
Thanks!

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Phil,

It most definitely means it is a #2 neck. I have many neck heels that have the neck number stamped on it, as well as many that don't, but when you find a number like that it is the neck number. Be advised that that is not necessarily the complete story because #2 comes in several variations, all with a 7.5" fretboard radius, but with different neck carves. To see which one you have you'd have to measure the neck thickness at the indicated frets listed in the table you find in the options referred to by Martin.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 am

phil wrote:Sorry...I meant to say I've NEVER seen a factory 2nd from G&L so I'm not sure what to look for.

That's because G&L does not sell factory 2nds or blemished instruments.

Like Jos said, the number 2 refers to the neck number.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 am

All, thanks! That really helps!